Author Topic: Thorspark electronic igniction Ariel Huntmaster  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Steve.Carter

• Moving Up
Just back from an Ariel rally and before we went on our ride around the Yorkshire dales yesterday I thought to myself what would happen if my dynamo died, so I tried a little experiment.  I cobbled together 8 AA batteries and wired them into the ignition to see how far I would get.
Switching the thing on and off wasn't very elegant, but believe me I was surprised. It managed the whole 112 miles route and was still going when I got back to the hotel and they were only some cheap ones I bought on the way up.  So the setup can't be taking to much out of the system.

steve

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
Re: Thorspark electronic igniction Ariel Huntmaster
« Reply #1 on: 22.04. 2012 19:45 »
i know a chap who had no dynamo on his rigid goldstar, he made up a little holder to take cordless drill batteries to run the lights , it worked well and they are of course rechargable. 

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Thorspark electronic igniction Ariel Huntmaster
« Reply #2 on: 22.04. 2012 20:54 »
 Yep, ran the racer/cafe for years running boyer on the smallest 12v sealed battery I could buy (3.5amp). I could do a full weekend race meeting, and on the road well over 100 miles with the brake light as well.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7