Author Topic: lucas k2f points  (Read 7964 times)

Offline Hyde61

• Active
lucas k2f points
« on: 15.04. 2012 17:20 »
Hi i just join your forum hopeing somebody can help i have a bsa a7 shooting star in greenlaner form ie no electrics just a lucas kf2 magneto i bought the bike about three years ago not seeing running anyway to get to the problem afer sorting the engine out.
how do i check the mag have tryed kicking it over with the plug on the side of the engine nothing its had new pick-ups plugs ,
also has anybody got a pic of how the points should look like as i dont now what the preivous own did ie is there a washer missing
hope somebody can help
thanks for reading
ps its got atd on it 

beezermacc

Re: lucas k2f points
« Reply #1 on: 15.04. 2012 17:40 »
I would advise removing the points and cleaning the faces. In principle the moving arm is connected to the base plate, whilst the fixed point is insulated from the base plate but connected to the magneto low tension circuit via the central fixing screw. So, with the points removed, there should be no electrical continuity between the fixed point and the baseplate whilst the points are open. Do you have the early solid brass points or the later pressed metal (low inertia) points?

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 16.04. 2012 00:19 »
The later ones break at the baseplate. Get some proper brass ones if you can.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 16.04. 2012 05:24 »
Hyde,

Welcome to the forum. I guess the first thing I should do is thank you for teaching me a new bit of slang, "greenlaner", which I assume means offroad on trails, maybe through the woods. (You know, us Americans need everythng explained to us.)

Below are two pictures of points, both with brass bases (left-click on them to enlarge). The first one is courtesy of our administrator (goes by the nickname "e") . The second is from my magneto, where you can see the addition of an "EasyCap" from Brightspark Magnetos. They have quite a bit of good magneto information on their site at   http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/ .   In the picture of my points, you will also see a lockwasher under the points fixing nut. Not sure why "e" doesn't have this. Maybe his is correct and mine is not. I don't know if this is the washer your referred to.

Lack of spark can be due to several different things: bad brushes, bad plug wire, bad caps, bad plugs, bad capacitor (inside mag), bad mag coil, demagnetized magneto (probablay not), dirty slipring, bad slipring, bad points (or points adjustment), and more.  When you have the plugs out, cleaning the slipring is a good idea. It also gives you a look at the brushes. Just remove the brush holders and kick over the bike while using your finger behind a clean rag. Sorry if you already know all this, but I couldn't reckon your skills from your post.

Here is a link to service and repair tips for Lucas magnetos:

http://archives.jampot.dk/Technical/Electric/Technical_tips/Magneto_Tips_by_Mark_Seibert.pdf

Richard L.

Offline Hyde61

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 16.04. 2012 09:46 »
Thanks to you all for the imput will try all of them just thought i would put a pic of the points in question ,
i am in ireland  so if anybody knows of were i can get the brass plate type from that would be great
thanks again

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #5 on: 16.04. 2012 10:55 »
On the steel points you've got there Hyde the spring point is live and the fixed one earth. So maybe worth being quite sure the spring and its retaining screw at the tail can't in any circs touch the lobes on the cam ring? Looks OK, if close, in the pic, but I'd check on the other lobe and also at rpm, in case there's anything funny going on there.
If anyone has any NOS brass assemblies, I guess we'll all be forming an orderly or disorderly line! 2nd hand ones come up, but if you find one you may well find it needs a new pivot for the moving point to get it how it should be in terms of clean making and breaking. Do-able, but a fiddle. Best of Luck.
Bill

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 16.04. 2012 11:26 »
Hi Hyde, the steel plate should work as well as the brass ones and a further consideration is you need a different centre bolt for the brass one.
in your photo the spring does look a bit close to the camring but that might just be the photo, but check it out as suggested by Groily

Hi guys I have a spare brass plate set  *smiley4* - may have to sell if Osborne continues his assault on the elderly *fight* *evil* *evil*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 16.04. 2012 12:12 »
I have been reminded to mention that,  while cleaning the slipring, the rag in front of your finger should be thick enough to keep you from getting shocked.  Otherwise,  maybe a friend can hold down the kill switch.

Shocking!

Richard L.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 16.04. 2012 12:25 »
maybe a friend can hold down the kill switch.
better still get your friend to put his finger on the cloth ( you could run out of friends though)

seriously though next time your in a coffee shop or Starbucks avail yourself of a good few of those wooden stirrers, glue a bit of felt onto the end of them and leave to set.
You will then have a stock of slip-ring cleaners (you will need to shorten some for the engine side)
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Hyde61

• Active
« Reply #9 on: 16.04. 2012 14:35 »
Thanks again guys going to try again tommorow will keep you posted fingers crossed mite get the wife to stick her fingers on the slipring *smile*

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 16.04. 2012 17:30 »
(you will need to shorten some for the engine side)

Good one!

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 16.04. 2012 18:12 »
Bill, 

Sorry,  can't tell if you're joking about "engine side".  Do you mean the lower brush-holder hole?  If so,  and if you are serious,  why?

Richard L.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 16.04. 2012 18:24 »
Hi Richard
Well spotted, I got that one wrong it is the other side (rear) that is a bit awkward, the sticks are quite long and I found snapping a bit off made it easier to poke down the contact hole.

sorry about that, probably should write mails in the shed sitting beside the bike.
All the best - Bill

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 16.04. 2012 19:20 »
Hi, Hyde 61,
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Irish, BSA owner, there are a few of us here  *smile*
Where are you located?, I live near Cork City
I work on Classic bike repairs/resto's and could check the mag over for you if you are not at the opposite end of the Country

Best Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Hyde61

• Active
« Reply #14 on: 16.04. 2012 19:34 »
HI I AM NEAR WEXFORD JUST 3 MILES FROM KILMORE QUAY