Author Topic: noise from clutch side  (Read 1019 times)

Offline ferret

• Active
noise from clutch side
« on: 03.05. 2012 07:33 »
I purchased a 1955 A10 5 months ago.  As far as I know it hasn't been restored.  It runs very well, but recently I noticed what I can only describe as a tappet type noise once the engine has warmed up which appears to come from the clutch area.  It is rythmic and a steady tapping.  It appears to disappear once the bike is in motion.  Once the bike is under power, it sounds solid without any worrying noises.   I have checked the rocker adjustment and it is as it should be.  It is not a rattle or rumble.  Some have suggested that it could be camshaft.  Has anyone out there experienced something similar.   I don't want to start dismantling the engine if it could be something simple.

Any ideas?

Offline 0116harley

• Moving Up
Re: noise from clutch side
« Reply #1 on: 03.05. 2012 08:40 »
Hi ferret well come to the forum. Maybe worth taking the chain cover of an checking inside the cover to make sure nothing has bin catching. On my a10 one of the nuts on the clutch spring had started to work loose ,and started to catch on the chain case.
cheers Neil

beezermacc

« Reply #2 on: 03.05. 2012 08:42 »
If you haven't had the clutch cover off it is a job well worth doing just to check that the cush drive is tight. These very often come loose or owners don't realise how tight they should be. It will save grief in the long term.
Just seen 0116 harley's post - seems like we're on similar tracks!

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 03.05. 2012 10:10 »
Welcome to the forum from me also.

I've recently had similar symptons as yours.

After removing both spark plugs and the primary chaincase inspection cover.  Turn the engine over slowly and check the primary chain tension in various places.  Mine had shed some rollers and the chain was ok in one place but slack enough to catch the chaincase in another causing the noise you describe. 

When the bike was in motion the chain was under tension and the noise disappeared.

Even if this isn't the problem it would be worth your while to remove the chaincase outer cover and check inside.

Beezageezauk.

Offline ferret

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 03.05. 2012 13:42 »
My thanks to 0116 Harley, Beezamacc and Beezageezauk for the advice.  It is re-assuring to note that you all indicate that there is a problem within the primary chaincase, which I guessed at.  I will investigate this evening.  Hopefully, it will be something like a loose primary chain.  I'll let you know.

Cheers