Author Topic: Centre Stand  (Read 2635 times)

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
Centre Stand
« on: 27.04. 2012 11:08 »
Hello All, Am I getting old or weak or what, cus I can't get it on the centre stand without the help of a wedge. I need it on the centre stand to start it because since the rebuild the compression stops me kicking it over stood astride it.
I have an after market centre stand fitted which came without the foot extension used to pull it down. I drilled and tapped it and put a bit of curved bar on it to solve that probem.
What I am wondering is wether the feet on the stand would benefit from pieces of curved flat bar welded to them so as to create a situation whereby it "rolled" up on to the end of the feet rather than having to be lifted.
What do you think, have any of you tried that?.
Regards Chris

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
Re: Centre Stand
« Reply #1 on: 27.04. 2012 11:22 »
I also struggled with this, as do many people, but I have now learnt how to do it. You need your left boot on the bottom of the stand, hold the seat underside with your left hand and with your right hand holding the rear mudguard stay pull back almost horizontally. Don't try to lift it, you won't manage it. This technique saved me getting an electric start. Give it a few tries this way. 
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 27.04. 2012 12:10 »
Yes I agree with that, I hold the frame tube just under the seat, left foot on the stand and sort of swing it back.
I also did the same drilling and tapping the stand for a piece of bar but it kept breaking off, so I welded a piece on and not problems since.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 27.04. 2012 14:17 »
I must try that technique as the I find my A10 almost impossible to get on the stand. Ironic when my Hinckley Triumph Tiger which must weigh 50% more is an absolute doddle.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 27.04. 2012 14:23 »
Think it must be a nack as I hold the handlebar & the lifting handle and just rock the bike onto the centre stand , doesnt seem difficult , the bike just rolls gently ..must be practise Id guess ?
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 27.04. 2012 15:19 »
I never had a problem with the swinging arm centre stand but you do need the proper handle the bikes originally had. The rigid is a pain to get on the stand and I can't do it without strong boots as it cuts into the sole of your footwear.

beezermacc

« Reply #6 on: 28.04. 2012 22:33 »
I have a mate who is about eight stone when wringing wet! We fixed his man v. bike problem when lifting onto the stand by altering the geometry of the kick lever. We cut the lever off and made one about an inch longer. It sticks up a bit above the exhaust (when off the stand) but makes the lifting really easy.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 29.04. 2012 11:16 »
but you do need the proper handle the bikes originally had
It helps Fido but back in the day I think a lot of the S/A models didn't have a handle and you just garbed the rear mudguard stay. I found it easy back then and was a couple of stone lighter then also.
I have to say since an artery/vein inflammation issue some two years back I don't seem to have the same horse power body wise and sometimes I find hoisting the thing up[ a problem other times it's ok.
beezermacc 's solution appeals, would try it if I had a spare centre stand
Oblivious answer is a reverse chain drive to the front wheel  *whistle* *whistle* *whistle*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #8 on: 29.04. 2012 19:18 »
Hi all, This weekend i tried the method suggested by Alanp, and well done to you Alanp you are a diamond geezer because i got it on the stand 3 times out of 3.
I was also interested in your mod Beezermacc. Exactly how did you modify the geometry and what chance of some detail and perhaps a couple of pics.
Many many thanks for your help guys.
regards for now Huddie.

beezermacc

« Reply #9 on: 29.04. 2012 21:39 »
I'll take some pics of my stand and my mate's so you can see the difference.

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #10 on: 13.05. 2012 12:25 »
Hi All, Just thought I would add a twist to this one rather than start a new thread. Summer arrived here yesterday so out came the bike for a spin round the country. So much easier now that I know how to get it easily onto the centre stand. Saves all the time rolling it up onto a wooden wedge to get the rear wheel higher.
So to the twist, every time I used to stop I had to get it onto the centre stand in order to be able to start it. Not enough leg power when stood astride it. I had assumed that this was due to the engine rebuild and the tight compression, but I am now wondering if it is because I havn't got the KNACK??. So come on you guys make my day, is there a knack to starting them. Thought I had better mention that starting it is fine when it's on the stand.
Regards huddie

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 13.05. 2012 12:40 »
I think it's down to basic physics. When it's on the centre stand it is being held rigidly to the engine gets your full 10 or 20 stones, but when it's on the ground the suspension will absorb some of the force. Eat more steak and chips.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 13.05. 2012 12:50 »
I must try that technique as the I find my A10 almost impossible to get on the stand. Ironic when my Hinckley Triumph Tiger which must weigh 50% more is an absolute doddle.

Just had the opportunity to try the technique and even with my convalescing knee it was far better than the "lifting" method I used to use. Many thanks Goldy et al.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #13 on: 13.05. 2012 13:36 »
Hello iansoady, Hope your knee gets well soon. Probably stating the obvious but I found it goes up onto the stand even easier if the front wheel is straight ahead. Even with the stand on carpet in my workshop it goes up providing the front wheel is straight.
Regards Huddie

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 14.05. 2012 15:10 »
I notice that the bikes that appear in this thread are all S/A. does anyone know if the same method works for those of us with Plunger frames?

My centre stand goes back too far and is rubbing on the mufflers. anyone else had this problem and has a cure for it? Thanks.