Author Topic: sludge trap and idle question  (Read 4615 times)

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
Re: sludge trap and idle question
« Reply #15 on: 05.05. 2012 13:26 »
if you do strip it down and have the sludge trap cleaned, the flywheel bolt that also secures the sludge trap really should be replaced with a new one , how I know this?
My local engineering firm, cleanede when I had the timing side bush replaced,? well they did not replace the bolt and after 50 years the bolt decided to strip the threads in the flywheel then drop down into the sump chamber, whilst I was riding up the M4 at 70mph and smashed both crankcase halfs, srm had the bolt in stock and a week later and £350+ lighter Steve Mcfarlane had repaired both crankcases and restored the crankshaft and the bike is still running, that was about 18 months ago

not good, did they pay to put your bike right ?. engine seizure or the chain coming off is the one nagging thoughts on the back off my mind when ridding at speed. saying that though, would the cush drive stop the back wheel from locking up ?.
Preferred location: somewhere warm and dry.
Bike: 1953 plunger Longstroke engine.

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #16 on: 05.05. 2012 13:27 »
The short stroke A7 doesn't have that bolt, only the LJ A10 cranks. Not sure of the early long stroke.
Cheers
cheer's muskrat. all the best fella, chicago

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #17 on: 05.05. 2012 13:32 »
Having gone through my Long Stroke A7 this past winter I've gone the route.  Long stroke trap plugs are smaller so you will have a screw slot not a hex.  They come out reasonably easy with a little heat and a impact screwdriver.  To just check the sludge trap it will entail taking the whole package out of the frame.  A good two day project out and back in.   There is no tube inside the crank as the later A10's have, just a place to catch gunk.  A filter is the only way to go.  These engines are quiet (kind of) so you will hear if something is going bad.

cheer's ron b, "These engines are quiet (kind of)" dose it sound ok ??.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjZdUyWVXUg&feature=player_embedded
cheer's fella, chicago

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 05.05. 2012 13:37 »
the bolt decided to strip the threads in the flywheel

Much more likely your local "engineer" stripped it, putting it in.
Don't replace 50-year old bolts with new, unless you have good reason to believe the new one is better.