Author Topic: Siamese pipes  (Read 1464 times)

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Siamese pipes
« on: 21.08. 2011 07:01 »
Alan its a two into one system from Armours. I wasnt particularly happy with it, didnt fit very well and took quite a bit of work to fit.

picture

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
Re: Siamese pipes
« Reply #1 on: 21.08. 2011 22:24 »
What was the matter Brian? What work did you have to do???

Anyone out there recommend a siamese for a plunger A7?

Cheers

Alan

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 21.08. 2011 23:29 »
The bend just out from the head on the right pipe was too tight, when I held the pipe up to the bike the piece that goes into the head was about 1/2" too low. I wrapped the pipe in felt and managed to straighten the bend slightly without damaging the chrome. It still hit the footpeg so I had to squash the pipe slightly so it would go under the peg. Even now the muffler touches the frame.

All my bikes have Armours systems, including the singles and they have always fitted quite well. Sometimes I have had to bend the bracket slightly or fiddle with them a bit but mostly they have bolted straight on. This one was the worst one I have ever had from them.

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 22.08. 2011 00:42 »
Brian,
Sorry to read about your issues. However, the Armours siamese pipe set for my RGS replica (Super Rocket) fitted perfectly.

Richard

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 22.08. 2011 17:51 »
My Armours two into two pipes didn't fit at all. They would not plug in to the head - dia too large. They suggested that maybe there was some ovality, there wasn't. They suggested that my (iron) head was wrong and that I should open out the exhaust ports. Comparing with my original pipes I found that the originals were very slightly reduced to make the fit.

To be honest the bends in the Armours pipes didn't look very nice either, not properly blended in. I'll not do business with them again.

Lets face it an A10 is not exactly an exotic, if they can't even get that right ... ?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 22.08. 2011 20:56 »
So whats the concensus of opinion then for the best siamese for a plunger A7?

Alan

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 23.08. 2011 00:51 »
I always take my bikes to a dedicated pipe bender and then you know they'll fit! You guys are sure taking a chance ordering off the shelf. Especially if ordering overseas.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 23.08. 2011 01:35 »
Strangely enough the ones I bought probably would have fitted well on a A7.

There was one thing I did find a little strange when I bought mine, I rang them and ordered them by phone. When I rang they said they were out of stock and waiting for some to come in, I thought they made them themselves but maybe not. Maybe they used to but now get them in from other suppliers, could explain the variation in quality.

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 23.08. 2011 07:15 »
Gday,
Just as a matter of interest, is a standard right hand pipe the same shape as the main pipe in a siamese set?
eg: Could you use the a right hand pipe as a start to building a siamese system?
cheers

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 23.08. 2011 07:33 »
Basically yes. If you had a right pipe and some bends it wouldnt be too difficult to make your own system.

Unfortunately this is one of those repro parts problems, even if you pay top money from a reputable dealer you are not assured of getting a good product. I must add though that I have bought probably about ten complete systems for various bikes from Armours and up until this one they have all fitted well.

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 03.05. 2012 23:26 »
Can anyone give me a recommendation (apart from Armours - bad experience with another, different BSA - so won't use them again) for a siamese sert for a plunger A7.

Cheers

Alan