Author Topic: Noise ??  (Read 2389 times)

Offline renos-a10

• A's Good Friend
Noise ??
« on: 02.05. 2012 07:03 »
Good day to all,

I rebuilt my a10 engine.I change evrythink ( bush , pistons , oil pump from SRM , Change the dynamo chain with new SRM belt , )
I adjust the tappet 3 times. Also i change the oil 2 times.
When i start the engine everythink work perfect.No noice.The engine sound is perfect.If you take a ride for 10 minute you hear some noise like the piston noise.May be the timing? Help ?

Thanks
Renos
1954 BSA A10 Plunger
Cyprus

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
Re: Noise ??
« Reply #1 on: 02.05. 2012 08:28 »
Hi there Renos It is difficult to say what the noise really is, small end wear does sound like piston noise at times but have you got a mechanics stethescpoe they are good at really telling where the noise is actually coming from. If you type this number into ebay it will show you what I am on about 150562623478.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline renos-a10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 02.05. 2012 10:00 »
I change and the small end pushes so i don't think so it's this.But yes the mechanics stethescope is good idea to find the noise.
Thanks
1954 BSA A10 Plunger
Cyprus

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 02.05. 2012 10:24 »
Don,t bother with a stethoscope just use a large screwdriver and hold the handle agains your ear. you do need to try and find the location.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 02.05. 2012 12:41 »
As the oil heats up and gets thinner, noises start to appear? Quite normal in my experience, and hopefully nothing wrong with your engine. But check and find whatever may cause it, but prepare to tolerate some of it, bike will not stay as quiet as cold after some running. If you do not find anything special, maybe just use thicker oil as it must be quite hot in your country?

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline renos-a10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 02.05. 2012 13:11 »
As the oil heats up and gets thinner, noises start to appear? Quite normal in my experience, and hopefully nothing wrong with your engine. But check and find whatever may cause it, but prepare to tolerate some of it, bike will not stay as quiet as cold after some running. If you do not find anything special, maybe just use thicker oil as it must be quite hot in your country?

Hi a10gf and thanks for your reply. Yes when get thinner the oil start noises.I know that this engine is old :) and i like that.
I use 20w50 oil.I am living in Cyprus and now is 30 celsius. What you belive?
Thanks
Renos
1954 BSA A10 Plunger
Cyprus

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 02.05. 2012 13:45 »
Maybe try plain 50? Should not be a problem with your summer temps. But wait for some more input, other members may have valuable opinions, and try to find out where the main noise is coming from, to evaluate if any works needs done or if it's fine to live (ride) with it.

Stand with

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #7 on: 02.05. 2012 16:11 »
The most likely cause of a noise when the engine warms up is a lose valve guide. When the engine is cold, and until it warms up the valve will be held in place, but as the temperature rises the head expands and the grip on the guide is relaxed. This is not an uncommon problem with A10 engines especially so on aluminium heads. Have you noticed any oily deposits in the exhaust tail pipes? A loose valve guide will sound very much like a loose tappet when the engine is warm, but there will be little or no noise when cold.

John

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 02.05. 2012 23:26 »
It's not pre-ignition i hope!

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #9 on: 03.05. 2012 00:50 »
Maybe try plain 50? Should not be a problem with your summer temps. But wait for some more input, other members may have valuable opinions, and try to find out where the main noise is coming from, to evaluate if any works needs done or if it's fine to live (ride) with it.

I would never run a monograde 50 in a plain bush motor (any A series beesa).
Monogrades are more suitable for roller bottom ends like the B series where they are ideal.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline renos-a10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 03.05. 2012 07:31 »
The most likely cause of a noise when the engine warms up is a lose valve guide. When the engine is cold, and until it warms up the valve will be held in place, but as the temperature rises the head expands and the grip on the guide is relaxed. This is not an uncommon problem with A10 engines especially so on aluminium heads. Have you noticed any oily deposits in the exhaust tail pipes? A loose valve guide will sound very much like a loose tappet when the engine is warm, but there will be little or no noise when cold.

John

Hi john ,

Thanks for your reply . I have iron head and i change the valve guide.Also i put new valves.The last time i check the tappet and it's loose.When i fix it the problem solve.Then take a ride for 10 miles and i hear a noise like loose tappet again.Then i found that the nose may be is from oil pump or a chain dynamon.Replace the oil pump and chain dynamon with SRM oil pump and new dymanon belt.All now it's ok.But i hear a deep noise like a piston and i belive that may be lost timing.What your opinion ?

Thanks
Renos
1954 BSA A10 Plunger
Cyprus

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #11 on: 03.05. 2012 08:42 »
I would never run a monograde 50 in a plain bush

SRM recommends monograde, don't they? Grade according to ambient temps.
Guess it's time for a fresh oil discussion, moving the oil part of the discussion to http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,5602.0.html

Stand with

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #12 on: 03.05. 2012 10:26 »
AMC recommended straight 50 in their twins. I use 20/50 in my 650 CSR cos I cant start the bugger unless its about 30 degrees ambient.
I use 40 mono in the A10.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #13 on: 04.05. 2012 04:21 »
I don't believe your oil is contributing to the noise problem, I thought Muskrat's idea on valve's sounded the most likely.
I'd also be looking to do the screwdriver/stethoscope approach if I were you.

A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline renos-a10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 06.05. 2012 08:48 »
hi again,
i found the problem. i check again the tappet and it's ok. the noise come from the indler from the side timing.when you start the engine everythink is perfect (no noise) but when oil is become to hot sound like valves come from the timing side.this is a problem? what yours opinions?

thanks
renos
1954 BSA A10 Plunger
Cyprus