Author Topic: a10 plunger selector pawl  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
a10 plunger selector pawl
« on: 02.05. 2012 14:22 »
hi everybody,   ive just had the front of my gearbox off to check for obvious signs of wear, the box is in neutral (i am not sure if it should be ), and place the inner cover even tighten it down with tubes as muskrat said in a earlier post, but cant get the selector  pawl to engage the cam plate, i must be doing something wrong i have tried lots of times , it selected before i had the covers off ,   any ideas  *sad2*, tw  
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: a10 plunger selector pawl
« Reply #1 on: 02.05. 2012 16:54 »
Hi Tumbleweed, i suffered the same when I rebuilt my box but with help from these guys it was sorted.Are you linning up the dots on shaft and inner case ? I tried for several weeks to get the gears in sync my problem was that the dots on the inner case were wrong and I had to use a slightly higher position for the pawl to engage ,once done the box was beautiful no probs since ,interestingly the guy who told me about this had had the same prob anyway hope that is of some help but I'd hide the heavy hammers until you sort it they can be bloody awkward Best wishes Bobh
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 02.05. 2012 17:43 »
 G'day tw,
              they can be awkward. Have you used a new gasket that might be a tad thicker than the old one? Try it with no gasket and silastic.
Make sure the pawl rocks easily and returns to center. A little bit of wear in a few places add up to it not being a nice fit as it once was. Also back off the detent spring a couple of turns.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 02.05. 2012 18:16 »
you don't mention indexing TW, you need to line up the red dot on the selector with the red dot on the inner cover.
Apologies if this has been done, just you don't mention it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 03.05. 2012 14:56 »
thanks everyone, i am glad there is a way of fitting, the only thing is i cant find any dots or marks on the cover or the shaft , are they on the inside of the inner cover, or the outside ? *conf*

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 03.05. 2012 15:38 »
Hiya TW, I no longer have one of these boxes, but here the haynes book :! is jogging my memory a bit.
 There is a(should be RED) dot (indent) on the inner cover behind the shifter shaft bush immediately in front of the selector quadrant, which should have a corresponding(should be RED)  dot(indent) stamped in it's forward face, these RED dotsmust align.

That's about all I can do, good luck duTch

ps any probs, maybe snap off and post a photo
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 03.05. 2012 16:44 »
thanks dutch, i think weve read the same manual, it doesnt give any info about the gearbox i have, there is no quadrant as such just a lever with a 2 tooth moving pawl at the end it must be a very early box. tw

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 03.05. 2012 16:49 »
Hi Tumbleweed, if no dots it has to be trial and error , which is a b### ache but can be done ,I think I read that RR2 boxs with reverse camplate don't have dots . i've an inner csae in my garage so i'll take a picture and try to post it tonight it'll show you where to look and it's position in relation to the case hope thats of help, regards BobH  
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 03.05. 2012 17:46 »
TW, I could be wrong,but, if you have
lever with a 2 tooth moving pawl at the end
, and a 'ball on the outside?
 Then it sounds like a plunger box, and should go together easy, nothing complicated to line up,as such see photos.

You should be able to see at least one of  the 'grabby things' in red/greenand look like yours (I've coloured them),only thing I can think of in that case maybe is if the selector plate moved around inside,ensure you can see the 'grabby things'on the back of selector plate, and you need to jiggle the selector arm a bit and the cover will just slip on??
 I hope that makes at least a bit of sense? As Muskrat says back off the indent plunger,
 good luck duTch

ps what year, S/A ..?  Plunger?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 04.05. 2012 08:21 »
hi dutch ,&  topdad.  yes its a 55 plunger box,   i cant get pics to come up on my computer, the info i have received up till now is very helpful and i thank you all , i shall proceed with renewed vigor , and keep the big hammer away from the bench .     i am sure if i could get pics it would help even more , thanks  *smiley4* .   tw

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #10 on: 04.05. 2012 09:55 »
Hi Dutch... Can you have a look at your pictures, I've noticed on a couple of your post in other threads where the pictures are not showing. I cant help as I don't have a clue what http://04052012656.jpg is. Have a read here >> to help you along.

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,427.0.html

Cheers. LJ.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 04.05. 2012 10:00 »
Sorry TDub, I guess The pictures didn't load, must've done something wrong-at 3am my time you get that,they not too good anyway .
   Did anothery-the correct way! Just check that you can see the 'pawls bits' on the back of selector plate(aka 'grabby things'), they're not really red&green just did so you can see them.
 So if you've screwed out the camplate plunger, couple of things I forgot - Is the mainshaft in place, all gears meshing ok, or is the mainshaft in the inner cover, if this is the case it may not be going on the bearing straight-it's a good snug fit anyway?
I think I found it easier to put the shaft in the cover first.
Also is the box in or out of the bike?

1>MAKE SURE the layshaft 1st gear plain thrust washer for is inboard of the gear, otherwise it'll rattle(dogs trying to engage) in the top 3 gears and lock up in 1st, also as Muskrat said you need to make sure you have the corrct gasket as it affects the end float on the layshaft
2>  ensure the selector fork rod engages with it's bush, and the selector arm is reasonably on the same plane as the shafts
3> probably something I've forgotten
4> make sure you're holding your tongue the right way, and just jiggle the show around-
     (no hammers) well I've used a rubber mallet lightly!
 ok go to it and good luck

Um Thanks LJ just posting now, I was a dumbass and did it wrong last night 3am as explained should work now different(1)photo-maybe
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #12 on: 04.05. 2012 10:04 »
G'day tw,
             the plunger box's don't have dots. Hold the selector arm horizontal while sliding the cover on. A little out either way won't hurt, the pawl should find it's spot.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 04.05. 2012 10:27 »
Thanks Musky, meant to say that (think that was #3)and pretty much disregard everything in the Haynes book too. Reason I said 'on the same plane' ,was because am not sure if the box is in or out, in which case(out) it can be done with the shafts vertical, or I think I did mine laying on the G'box/crankcase interface because the selector arm flaps around too easily.
 ok friday night, goin' for feed &/or bevvie will see how T.weeds is coping later (no hammers)
  *beer*

Ps T.W. If you can't see any of the pawls on the case side of the selector cam-plate, any where between top to bottom you may have it orientated incorrectly, just a matter of slip the selector forks out of their slots and spin the camplate until you can see at least two pawls top or bottom- best in the middle so you can see all three -just down from top should be close to neutral (I think because this camplate has 2 neutral nicks,disregard)
Australia

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 04.05. 2012 13:25 »
hi       its done now thanks to you chaps , i hope you enjoyed your feed and bevvy dutch (did you go on the bike?).      thanks again everybody .      p/s   i can get all 6 gears now   *smiley4*