Author Topic: Parts interchange for gear box  (Read 6002 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Parts interchange for gear box
« on: 20.07. 2008 17:06 »
 Hello people!

About 20 years ago I bought a "bike in a basket" from two brothers who had watched Easy Rider and decided to build a chopper. Lucky enough they only had enough money to take it apart and throw some good pieces away- and fill the neck in with bondo and cut a few tabs off.

Well I think its time to put it back together and make a nice daily driver out of it. Going through the bits and pieces the first thing I found that needs replacing is the inner pressure plate for the gearbox- its cracked and broken where the kick shaft runs through.

The bike is a 58 Golden flash, and the numbers match up. Problem I have is the part that's cracked is # 67-3245 which I believe is for a pre 53 bike. After getting hold of one of the brothers, he believes there was never any major over hauls or anything done on the bike, and certainly no transmission replacement. Is this possible?

Anyway, onto my major question. A couple of pressure plates are coming up on E-bay, part numbers 67-3018, and 67-3345. Will either one of these be a direct replacement for mine? Is there a parts interchange manual for all things a-10 and 7?

I thank you very much,

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Parts interchange for gear box
« Reply #1 on: 20.07. 2008 17:21 »
Lee,

Welcome to the Forum. Your's sounds a like a very interesting project. We will all be anxious to see photos in various states of progress, or lack thereof.

Anyway, though I can't speak to the interchangeability of the transmission parts, I can say that I have purchased parts from Queeng (whom I am guessing is the seller you're looking at) and they seem very efficient and friendly. They sell a lot of parts and it would not surprise me if they can offer some help with your question.

Richard

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 20.07. 2008 18:07 »
Remember the number you see on the casting is a casting number and will be different them the part number in spares book ( usually 1 out ).
Part number in the book for 59 - 62 is 42-3247 inner cover, I presume this is the part you are looking at.
If you visit Draganfly web site and goto online shop -  you can scan part numbers if you select your model, I had a quick look but didn't find anything close.
Someone with more parts book might answer your question though

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 20.07. 2008 21:45 »
 Thank you guys for the welcome to the forum.

I was hoping all marked Standard were interchangeable as far as the case work went, but this may not be. The plate is from Queeng and I have dropped him a line, hopefully he can help me out with this.

When I get around to it, I will drag the entire pile out and snap a couple of pics.

I really just want a decent daily driver, not into the over-restored crowd at all. It seams finding parts wont be too hard, and I was lucky enough to get all the tins and a tank with the bike- now whether they are correct or not I cant say for sure. These guys were throwing good BSA parts away for some Honda stuff, but I did get a fiberglass coffin tank in the deal- oh joy of joys.

Lee

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 21.07. 2008 15:24 »
Lee, I doubt you have a plunger (semi-unit) gearbox on a '58, so pretty much all the swingarm plates should be interchangeable.  Some (RRT, etc) use different bearings, but can still be interchanged, AFAIK.  I should have several of these plates.  Let me know if you're interested and I'll see what I've got.  Where are you located?
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 21.07. 2008 21:24 »
 Queeng didnt get back to me in time, and I snapped one up on e-bay- it was cheap enough with an extra cover for the parts bin. I still have all the parts to go through to see what is really there and what isn't. I see the oil tank was a chrome version they "kind of" scuffed up before a brush stroke paint job. I rubbed most of that off. The main tank is pretty dented up, and I dont know what to do with that yet. First I am going to get the motor and tranny sorted, then move on.

Also noticed the fork legs are WAY long, but at least the didnt chop the neck.

I am located in central Wisconsin, U.S.A.- I hope someone with extra bits is near by!

Lee

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 28.10. 2008 16:12 »

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #7 on: 29.10. 2008 13:40 »
You can buy parts manuals etc for most bikes on ebay.

I got the full set of A10 parts and workshop manuals on a cd for about five of our traditional English Pounds Sterling.

I took the CD to work, opened the files and pressed the print button, got one of the girls to bind them up - brilliant
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 07.11. 2008 01:55 »
 Fido,

The cartoon reminds me of a guy I know in Chicago- except he wouldnt even say "trust me"! *conf*

Lee

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #9 on: 07.11. 2008 09:03 »
Lee... How is the rebuild going? Did those gearbox/tranny parts match up?
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 07.11. 2008 14:58 »
If you need any more gearbox parts, I have several STD boxes in pieces.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 11.11. 2008 01:31 »
 Hello people,

All I can say about this rebuild is...slow. It appears the boys had more time to tinker then I originally thought- its nothing major but there are clues that this may be quite a project.

Upon looking at the cases I originally missed (under the black grease accumulation that often happens on a long sitting vehicle- where does this stuff come from? *conf*) the fact that the case seals had been broken, and by the look none to carefully. I am just hoping I can get them to seal back up without too much hassle.

Winter is just starting to set in here, and its too cold in the garage for much until spring. I am thinking about putting the entire motor/gearbox in a trash can and just shipping it to a re-builder. This would be the first proffesional rebuild of a bike I have ever had done, I am starting to think it will require some advanced machining- as there is a slight grinding noise when the crank is manually turned. Could just be gunk- but who knows with the cases looking that way.

I live in Wisconsin, does anyone know of a re-builder in my area with some experience with our bikes? I can find 100 re-builders, and 99 will say "oh sure, no problem"- but we all know how that is.

Lee

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 11.11. 2008 05:15 »
Lee,

I don't know how far north you are in Wisconsin, but there is Morries Place in Ringwood, IL (815-653-7000), just a bit south of the state line. I met the guy (his name's not "Morrie," but I can't recall it this second) at a recent swap meet. He seemed to know his A10 stuff quite well.

I had wheels rebuilt by Wes Scott Cycles in Florida, see Wes's web site at http://www.wesscottcycles.com/.  You will be impressed by his on-line bio and when you talk with him you will realize that he must really run a top-notch shop (http://www.wesscottcycles.com/).

There are, no doubt, good shops that I am overlooking for my ignorance, but there is one that I will tell you about, privately, which I think you should avoid.

I am in Naperville, IL, so not that far away, compared to our fellow forum members around the world.

Richard