Author Topic: Annealing copper gaskets  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
Annealing copper gaskets
« on: 03.05. 2012 11:09 »
Hello All,

After a long period getting all the parts together I hope to get the engine back together soon.

Would anyone know if a standard hot air gun is powerful enough to heat up the head gasket and the copper rocker box gaskets for annealing purposes?

Many thanks

Duncan
Anglo - Indian A7SS (Actually is a 650)
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Annealing copper gaskets
« Reply #1 on: 03.05. 2012 11:17 »
Hi Duncan,

The gasket will need to be heated reasonably evenly to a cherry red colour prior to quenching.  I doubt if a hot air gun would do this.

Beezageezauk.

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 03.05. 2012 11:39 »
Thanks,

I will look out for a cheap blow torch
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 03.05. 2012 11:44 »
Even a blow torch struggles to get the hole thing to cherry red at the same time, however as copper does not need quenching this may not matter as much as long as all parts of it get to cherry red at some point.
Often wondered if a barbie would do it - anyone down under like to comment ( might taint he prawns) *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 03.05. 2012 11:45 »
 You two got in before me so I'll try again.....

Good call Duncan, I was doing mine today using 'Mappgas' (Propylene),I think it' a blend of something like benzene or acetylene and propane?? but gets pretty hot, and the gasket being an odd shape, I found it hard to get even 'cheery red' all over even tried different ways to hold it, never used a heat gun but I wouldn't be optimistic??
  Also  on the subject, My mate Kel pointed out that there should be no gasket protruding from the joint into the combustion chamber, reckons it'll ping terribly, consequently I spent a bit of time with the file,to ensure that it cleared the top of bore, and also on the  R/R (?)& S/R heads I noticed that there is a bit of a relief in the head for the valves , so extra whittling.

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 03.05. 2012 14:14 »
Duncan,

The last time I annealed mine I was on a camp site in the Isle of Man.  I held it with pliers, used a little single burner camping stove and heated it one half at a time.  It worked ok for me so if you're cooking on gas at home try using a ring on your gas stove.

Beezageezauk.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 03.05. 2012 14:41 »
Makes sense, I thought about it, but seemed too sensible to be easy- have a double burner, too bad the burners are too far apart for simultaneous 'firing'....I've done it before but so long ago forget which method, and today got impatient
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 03.05. 2012 14:56 »
I did mine on a primus stove with a propane torch as well and it took a long time to get up to the correct cherry red colour.

Mind you that was outside with the air temperature well below zero as I didn't want to set fire to the garage....
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 03.05. 2012 16:59 »
I don't actually recommend the method in this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOul-aIO_lg ) because it seemed to leave some carbon deposits (or something) on the gasket. However, if you joined here in the last few years, you probabaly haven't seen it and might find it amusing.  I ended up using my mapp gas torch and moving over a different gasket as evenly as I could. I managed to melt a small spot on the edge of the gasket but that did not affect performance, but it is something to watch for.

Richard L.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 03.05. 2012 18:32 »
That's possibly the best way it is a struggle on a gas stove and oxy acetylene can be too hot. It needs to be cleaned with wire wool afterwards.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #10 on: 03.05. 2012 19:24 »
Here > http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,737.0.html is a major discussion with pictures & all.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 08.05. 2012 16:41 »
Thanks for all your replies - I did it on a gas ring last time but it took forever, it didn't leak and I am not sure if I got even spread of heat. I might give the BBQ a go this time.

Cheers

Duncan
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS