Author Topic: 1955 Shooting Star manual advance cable  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Andrew J

• Moving Up
1955 Shooting Star manual advance cable
« on: 05.05. 2012 01:21 »
Hi,

I am restoring a 1955 Shooting Star and currently at the pre build stage and I had a look at a friends 1957 Shooting Star with the integral inlet manifold and noticed that the alignment of the manual advance cable as it leaves the magneto runs straight into the bowl of the monoblock carby and then has to wind its way round the bowl and away to the control.

It is my understanding that the Shooting Star has a slack wire advance and with this the manual advance is closet to the front of the bike, I have looked at many pictures of these bikes and all seem to have the forward facing advance but its very hard to tell what the cable is doing.
Does anybody have a photo or original 1955 Shooting Star and could advise me on the position of the manual advance cable and if it does actually need to bend around the carby bowl.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards Andy

Offline Andyhosie

• A's Good Friend
    • www.bsarocketman.com
Re: 1955 Shooting Star manual advance cable
« Reply #1 on: 05.05. 2012 15:48 »
Andy, I will post some pix for you . Have a look at www.bsarocketmen.com/projects for 54  SS rebuild this may help you out
Cheers,
Andy
Cheers,
Andy
58 A10 Special
54 Super Flash
Always Looking for A10/A7 Parts

bsarocketman.com

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #2 on: 05.05. 2012 17:38 »
Couldn't make the photo-link work for some reason, but according to the Lucas parts lists - those interminably long and complex things that take ages to plough through and cross-reference - the right mag is K2F 42263D/E, which is 'Anti-clock, Spring, left-hand' in the Lucas terminology. There are loads of mags very similar, so the actual one on your bike may well not bear that number after all these years of course. In any case, anyone can stick any plate on any mag body  . . . 

All the bits are laboriously listed in the Lucas lists - one source for all of which is http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/library/Parts%20lists/Lucas%20motor%20cycle%20parts%201936-57/G09-23%20Magnetos%20and%20ATDs.pdf
It's a guaranteed way to accelerate the need for strong spectacles and go cross-eyed, but needs must from time to time.

From what I can see then, and if I read it right with fading sight, the AR cable would be on the cylinder ('left') side of the cb end housing on a Star Twin looking at it from the cb end. Indeed, to have the cable slack in the advanced position on an anti-clock instrument, it would need to be on the forward side of the housing.
I have some of the same cable-routing problem on my s/arm A10, due to the float chamber of the Monobloc getting in the way. But that's my fault, as that bike should really have the ATD that's in the box of bits put back, and a fixed ringcam.

good luck
Bill
(with my Brightspark anorak hat on)
Bill

Offline Andrew J

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 08.05. 2012 20:50 »
Hi, Thanks for the replies, I got back my head yesterday and quickly placed bare engine together and bolted carby on and found that the manual advance cable passes nicely in front of the carby with only a slight bend so it seems that I was worried for no reason.

No doubt I will be asking many more questions during this rebuild.

Regards Andy

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #4 on: 09.05. 2012 09:58 »
And if you fit a thicker insulating gasket between the manifold & carb it will miss entirely
Bike Beesa
Trevor