Author Topic: bike got harder to start each time, now wont start :(  (Read 1784 times)

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
hi there, me again, when i first got my bike it would start on about the second kick, since then it has been getting progresivly harder to start each time. and now it will not start.
i took the manifold off yesterday and the gaskets were knackered, and it had the original gasket still under the new gasket. so i replced them and the bike seem to run better and started a bit better. but now this morning it just flooding, ive took the plugs out and they looked wet and black. see photo. (edit how do you post a thumbal image ??. and sorry in advance)

i also noticed that the gaps on the end of the plugs are completely different and a small gap on one and bigger gap on the other, and the plugs are different make's, theres a ngk b7hs on one side and a champion l82c on the other.
chould this be the problem or is it that with the inlet gaskets being knackered somebody has set the carb over rich to compensate for all the air the knackered gasket was letting in ?. or is it a combination of both.
i'm gonna change the plugs anyway but before i do which would best suit my bike (a 1948 longstroke engine) and what would  the right gap be. i did have a quick scan for the right plug and gap but it all got a bit confuseing. cheer's in advance, chicago
UPDATE cleaned the plug's and set the gap's to 0.020" and she started after about 4 kicks, there was a couple of pop's/backfires but i would imagine that was just unburnt fuel from being flooded. i have also found that what i thought was a air lever was infact a manual advance/retard lever and the bikes got no air lever and no choke slide in the carb *conf*
Preferred location: somewhere warm and dry.
Bike: 1953 plunger Longstroke engine.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: bike got harder to start each time, now wont start :(
« Reply #1 on: 05.05. 2012 15:57 »
According to Roy Bacon A7 47 to 59 requires Champion L85 or NGK B6HS .Once you have the plugs right and the carb flange  sealed I would run it to get the engine hot and then look to see if the plugs are still showing rich.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #2 on: 05.05. 2012 16:16 »
According to Roy Bacon A7 47 to 59 requires Champion L85 or NGK B6HS .Once you have the plugs right and the carb flange  sealed I would run it to get the engine hot and then look to see if the plugs are still showing rich.
cheer's goldy, i did manage to get her started after re-setting the plug gap and cleaning them. thinking about it though its a miracle that she even started at all with no air lever and choke slide in the carb.i think it must be running a bit overrich to start at all with no choke ?. all the best, chicago

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 05.05. 2012 20:06 »
 G'day chicago, most will start and run from cold after a tickle. None of mine have chokes. New plugs of the same breed would help.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #4 on: 05.05. 2012 22:02 »
G'day chicago, most will start and run from cold after a tickle. None of mine have chokes. New plugs of the same breed would help.
Cheers
cheer's muskrat, new plugs is the first thing on my shopping list, closely followed by rocker cover gaskets and banjo filter for the carb, good news is i can cross off the air lever/carb slide/cable. nice one  ;). all the best fella, chicago

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #5 on: 10.05. 2012 23:26 »
****UPDATE***
new plugs and hey presto, she fire's back to life on the 2nd kick *yeah*, cheer's for the input fella's *beer*. all the best, chicago

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 11.05. 2012 00:42 »
Great to hear mate. Now just keep an eye on them as to mixture or oil, the old ones look a bit black for my likeing.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #7 on: 11.05. 2012 11:10 »
Great to hear mate. Now just keep an eye on them as to mixture or oil, the old ones look a bit black for my likeing.
Cheers
cheer's muskrat, i was thinking the same, i was going to take the carb off again and strip & clean out but im a bit scared of making it worse (due to my limited knowlege) i think i'll wait until stupid ebay decides to post my workshop manual and have a look how difficult it would be to tune the carb. i did notice a bit of oil on the plugs but been looking on here and might be normal due to modern fuel (i hope). all the best muskrat, chicago