Author Topic: Auto Magneto to manual  (Read 914 times)

Offline renos-a10

• A's Good Friend
Auto Magneto to manual
« on: 05.06. 2012 08:00 »
Good day to everyone,

I would like to change my auto magneto to manual.But i don't want to take off the old magneto and put the new manual . I know that i need to change some parts.
Is that possible?

Thanks
Renos
1954 BSA A10 Plunger
Cyprus

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Auto Magneto to manual
« Reply #1 on: 05.06. 2012 08:56 »
Should be very possible. You will have to find some parts. A magneto drive gear (or maybe the autoadvance can be locked in full advance ?), lever for the handlebar, cable + cable parts, camring housing (for moving camring \ cable connection).

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline renos-a10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 05.06. 2012 09:20 »
Thanks very much !!!!
1954 BSA A10 Plunger
Cyprus

beezermacc

« Reply #3 on: 05.06. 2012 09:54 »
This may not turn out to be quite as easy as you would like. When replacing the cam ring housing in situ you are likely to encounter issues such as incorrect armature end float and points gap imbalance caused by using mismatched parts. You don't need a manual drive gear - you can continue to use the ATD which will automatically retard the ignition for starting so you might only need to use the manual lever to avoid pinking.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 05.06. 2012 10:07 »
If you're too lazy to remove the mag, don't start this job. Just ride the bike.  I'm pretty lazy myself, but I know you won't save yourself any work by trying to fiddle with it in situ. Like others here, I've tried that sort of thing before.

If converting to manual, I'd use a solid pinion because one of the advantages (on some bikes) of manual is a bit more liveliness at rpm where the auto advance would have it retarded.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 05.06. 2012 10:22 »
as incorrect armature end float and points gap imbalance caused by using mismatched parts
Good 'points'. One may need a set of shims for setting the end float. Renos, about the points l\r timing and cam housing\bearing alignment, you may find some clues in http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,1375.msg9862.html#msg9862

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"