Author Topic: engine smoke  (Read 1324 times)

Offline baz

• A's Good Friend
engine smoke
« on: 27.05. 2012 13:52 »
Hi got my a10 out of the shed yesterday where it has been idle for 12 years i drained the sump the oil had all run from the oil tank into the sump i started the engine second kick it ran ok but its smoking the oil is returning to the tank but it just wont stop smoking i checked the sump agan after running the engine and there was about half a small cup came out the compression feels good anyone got any sugestions before i tear it down to check if the rings are stuck? the bike didnt smoke when i storred it i used 20/50 oil the same as i always have cheers baz

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: engine smoke
« Reply #1 on: 27.05. 2012 15:07 »
I think if it was my bike I would risk a short run to see if it stops smoking, after 12 years I would not be surprised at a bit of smoke my Flash usually smokes on one side for about 1/4 of a mile then clears.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline baz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 27.05. 2012 19:57 »
you may be right but the smoke is quite bad i looked down the spark plug holes and i can see oil on the inlet valves! and the crown of the piastons looks oily i did a compression test and it was showing 140psi both sides with the engine hot i think i will pull the top end off to satisfy myself baz

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 27.05. 2012 20:57 »
 I'd give it a few more miles Baz. Rings will take a while to bed back in and the valve springs may be a little weak. Recon if I sat still for 12 hours let alone years I'd be a bit stiff too.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline baz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 30.05. 2012 18:23 »
i decided to bite the bullet and lift the head and barrel i found the rings were badly worn out and sharp,the funny thing is i dont remember the engine smoking when i last used it but i was running it very rich to try and keep the engine cool to stop it from cutting out when hot,i guess i washed the oil away in the bores hence the sharp piston rings,i have a re built magneto and advance retard unit ready to fit so hopefully the overheating problem will be sorted this time around cheers baz

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 30.05. 2012 18:27 »
i was running it very rich to try and keep the engine cool to stop it from cutting out when hot

I think that's an unusual way to address a cutting out when hot problem.

Offline baz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 30.05. 2012 18:49 »
well the bike would only cut out when i was thrashing it  throttle full open so i went up on the main jet,when ridden normaly it was fine in traffic etc at low revs i am going to fit the new magneto soon i have read on some posts here that 5/16" btdc full advance is being used to good effect on a rocket spec motor is this correct? i think from memory mine was set at 3/8" cheers baz

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 30.05. 2012 21:04 »
 G'day baz, 3/8" might have been a little advanced and caused pinging & extra heat, which in turn closed the valve clearance propping open a valve or two.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline baz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 04.06. 2012 16:24 »
Ok the engine is up and running again new rings fitted new magneto and advance/retard unit timing set at 5/16" btdc monobloc 389 re built from all the best bits i had! 106 pilot type D needle 20 pilot jet 3 cutaway slide 250 main jet needle position 3 ,i have left the tappets slightly loose 10thou in and 12 thou out(alloy head) i will adjust these when i re tighten the head ,engine fired second with just a little smoke and ticks over and revs out well i am going to fit a pancake air filter to it and as soon as i can get it MOTd i will put some miles on it to see if i have cured the overheating problem cheers baz

Offline baz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 16.06. 2012 16:34 »
done about 150 miles now since the mot the bike is running really well no smoke or cutting out as yet very pleased with it the worst thing i have got is a leaky chaincase and the clutch slips a little i need to break the rings in a little more because i want to do a full throttle plug chop as i feel it may be lean on the main jet,,,,,,,,,,,,,cheers baz