Author Topic: A10 engine noise  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Pecon

• A's Good Friend
Re: A10 engine noise
« Reply #15 on: 21.06. 2012 17:30 »
Hi Peter

I'm glad to hear that you are making progress on the model 18. I look forward to seeing some more photos of your progress soon.

The A10 is now starting to look like a giant construction set. I have pulled off the barrels and found that in addition to the play in the crankshaft bush I found two deep scores in the left cylinder caused by a circlip becoming detatched from the piston but remaining in place in the pin. There is some damage to the circlip slot in the piston also so it looks as though a rebore is also on the cards. The strange thing is that there was no sign of smoke from the cylinder although there was some oil being blown from the breather onto the rear chain which I suspect might be caused by blow past the rings?. I also notice that the rivets on the plate over the oil seal behind the clutch have worn away leaving the seal cover loose.  At least the head seems OK  *conf*

Offline peter

• Moving Up
  • Aadorf in Switzerland
« Reply #16 on: 22.06. 2012 21:08 »
Hi Peter,
by my BSA comes oil of the breather too,It has some threads about this breatherproblem in this forum.I think it`s not the rings.I do not write English well,you should read the treads on the breather problems.
In my case I have a Oil line valve installed and mounted below the motor  a small oil-collecting tank, in tis tank leads the breathertube.I wish you success in your repairs. *beer*
Peter
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 350
1956 AJS 18s
1949 Royal Enfield 500 J2
1954 Golden Flash 650
1985 Virago V1000
2001 Wildstar V1600
1966 Velosolex 50
1999 Virago XV 1100
2012 Kawasaki W800
2016 KTM Duke 390

Offline Pecon

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 02.07. 2012 16:25 »
  While continuing with my strip down I noticed something odd when I checked the head gasket. The one I removed seemed very thick and on further examination it turned out that somebody had fitted two copper gaskets..!!. I have yet to check the head for warping but with an iron head I would think it unlikely that this would be a problem. For the life of me I cannot think why a previous owner might think it a good idea to do this. Does anybody have any thoughts on the subject?.

Peter

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #18 on: 02.07. 2012 17:27 »
Peter ,the only thing this feeble mind could come up with is that the previous owner felt that reducing the compression ratio would be desirable ,can't think why ,unless of course the engine hasn't been down for over 40 yrs and at that time  it was poor quality fuel then and the engine needed some help.  cheers BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Pecon

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 02.07. 2012 21:00 »
Well Bob, the same thought occured to me but how much difference would the thickness of a gasket make and I can see indications of work being done in the past, although some of this was done with a basic tool kit, lump hammer and vice grips.  *conf*

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 03.07. 2012 09:28 »
Maybe just lost count after the first one?

I have a set of barrels from my first effort ('70's)that have the same circlip gouge, it's about 3mm deep!! A good thing to double check.

Cheers and good luck with it, can't offer any other ideas 'bout the head but does sound familiar- except have you checked that the head hasn't been shaved at some stage??
 cheers
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Pecon

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #21 on: 05.08. 2012 18:26 »
Just an update on my engine woes.

I did as John suggested and removed the engine and started doing some of the stripping myself. When I got as far as removing the head and barrels and discovered that the bore was badly scored along with the play in the bush I decided that the best course was a trip to SRM in Wales for a full check. Unfortunately the news was not good. in addition to the casing being damaged in transit I have a crankshaft which had been cut down from a large journal one to small presumably to match the existing con rods. So its a replacement crankshaft, (unfortunately the only one available is a small journal one) con rods, pistons, rebore and new bushes and bearings. The estimates are starting to turn my hair gray  *sad2* but from the telephone discussions I have had with Geoff Dewhurst these guys do seem to know their stuff and I feel confident that I will have an engine which will outlast me..!!.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 05.08. 2012 19:37 »
Hi Peter
That sounds very like the "tales of woe" that I find seemingly with every rebuild I take on *eek* *eek* *eek*
With the exchange rate between the Euro and Sterling at the moment and for the what looks like for some time to come  *sad2* *sad2* this adds considerably to the costs

It may be worth asking here to see if any usable big lumps are available  which might help reduce the costs??
or keep checking OBM and similar even Ebay??

Regards
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Pecon

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #23 on: 05.08. 2012 19:52 »

Hi John

You're right about the weak Euro, it's adding about 26% to the cost. I did think about a replacement but I'm afraid I might end up with somebody else?s reject and be back to square one so I bit the bullet and paid the deposit.

Peter