Author Topic: Sludge Trap and some fairness to Haynes  (Read 833 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Sludge Trap and some fairness to Haynes
« on: 10.06. 2012 16:36 »
Ok I starting to think I'm becoming eccentric but,while I was hunting as last resort through my Haynes book('73 print) for conrod specs to check on resized holes/ rod length, I came across-> Page 26 chapter 1,section 14,paragraph 5-
The plugs located at each end of the crankpins should be removed so that the internal oilways can be cleaned out.

That's it! Not called a 'Sludge Trap' in Haynes lingo........but it is there, contrary to popular belief!! 

Just thought I'd share that, cheers
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Sludge Trap and some fairness to Haynes
« Reply #1 on: 10.06. 2012 20:41 »
 Yes Dutch, it's lost in translation. Even thou most speak English there are a lot of things given different names. Gear box/transmission, Mud guard/fender, boot/trunk etc.
 So you think you might be eccentric, I thought it was too much acid in the 70's. LOL
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 10.06. 2012 23:23 »
Uhoh....Not quite the case....well not much *eek* the battery only needed so much.........Lots of people paid lots of money to be like me!!!! *smile*, and now more for more as I expand... :! Anyway that was when I bought my first beeza-something had to be left to those more capable, financially if nothin' else!!!

You also would get on with the blokes I work with, but they reckon the '60s

Anyway, back to Haynes it's not just lost in translation, but also in a quick short sentence easy to read and overlook- a bit like running over a moto scooter with an eighty wheeler- *conf* wha'wuzzat *whistle* ?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 11.06. 2012 02:47 »
I can say I am one who overlooked that sentence and it afforded me my second experience in rebuilding an A10 engine. The problem, I think, is the "should", which fails to express the actual importance. A better wording and printing would have been, "IT IS IMPERITIVE THAT THE PLUGS AT EACH END OF THE CRANK PINS BE REMOVED AND THE OILWAYS CLEANED OUT EVERY TIME THE CRANKCASE IS SPLIT".

Richard L.