Author Topic: front end overhaul  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
front end overhaul
« on: 12.06. 2012 15:37 »
I'm making the most of self imposed ( well wife imposed) riding ban this year by doing all the jobs that I'd put off if I could be out and about.
The front end was looking a bit worse for 9 yrs wear and tear ,also I had a "off" last year on gravel which left me convinced that the head bearings needed attention so that was that on Sunday I set to ,i've taken pictures of start and during process and will post to show what I've done. However, over the years I've upgraded a few things and am now really chuffed that i did and thought I'd share them with you's lot,( has we say in scouseland  ,well some do )
first up after dropping the forks i had a good look at the chromed front guard and found it to be in excellent shape a couple of rust pips but nothing bad so just decided to do the inside again with car underseal.
The fork bushes were done only 2 yrs ago and so still appear okay ,didn't have any bad vibes whilst riding so I'll leave well alone.
Then the head bearings, i fitted a george prew set of tapered(timken?) rollers and had been warned that they could be water effected ,pleased to say not the case .I was impressed when I installed 'em but am even more impressed now ,still greased and still in fantastic shape look like they'll last me out ,so theres 6 mth more  us at the  !!
I'd also fitted one of his damper kits to the forks and they are still in great shape as well .
I'll post more has I get things done Best wishes BobH

" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: front end overhaul
« Reply #1 on: 12.06. 2012 15:40 »
PS any thoughts/things that might need looking at and that I might miss please feel free to remind me ,many wise heads being better than one with only 5 remaning braincells,CheersBobH
United Kingdom

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 21.06. 2012 14:39 »
heres what it looked like at the start of o/haul
United Kingdom

Offline Jes-can

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 21.06. 2012 16:08 »
Got it out!  *smile*

Took a hacksaw to the fork just below the yoke and sawed just enough to get a large flat head screw driver in. Pushed up on the Yoke with the flat part inserted into line I made and that was it. After all the banging and prying it actually came out with almost no effort! Go figure. Anyway I'm happy it's done. I'll still require some new forks I think, but that's ok.

Time to get the rest of the motor out. I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time here once I start putting things back together!

Cheers,
Jesse

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 21.06. 2012 17:01 »
Bet that feels good , now you can start to move your project forward, hopefully things will go easily for you from this point only . Best wishes BobH.
United Kingdom

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #5 on: 22.06. 2012 01:00 »
I purchased my bike last October, ( when I joined this FORUM )
Gave myself 2 years to restore it,  ????
Its a long SLOW process, & thanks to Members & post on the forum I think I'm on track..

'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #6 on: 22.06. 2012 10:28 »
Wozza, looking good lot of hard work there but now taking shape, best wishes BobH
United Kingdom

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 28.06. 2012 12:56 »
anyone help re types of paint and compatibility. i had given up looking for cellulous aerosols and have bought  some acryrlic ( sorry about spelling ) rubbish when low and behold I found my own old stuff still useable but no primer  so can I use the new primer with cellulous as a finish coat ? any help most gratefully received ,as usual BobH.
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 28.06. 2012 15:24 »
Gidday Topdad Bob,
                             Not much I can say 'cept  'Hang in there '- I see Jesse hijacked with his win- good stuff!!

I pulled mine apart 12 months or so ago thinking 'a couple of weeks' and  back together-oh yeah!! Held up by a continuum of the most inane stuff that I ever thought relevant.!

Cheers duTch

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 06.09. 2012 16:48 »
Here at last some pictures of refurb, not taken me this long to do just shows it takes me longer to do computer stuff than than spannering!!BobH
United Kingdom

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #10 on: 11.09. 2012 12:59 »
3rd time lucky
United Kingdom

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #11 on: 11.09. 2012 18:08 »
here's another
United Kingdom

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #12 on: 17.09. 2012 10:46 »
Hope i've finally cracked this resizeing lark, so here goe's .  The pictures from start already shown show what 8 yrs can do to paintwork but the good thing was that the metal was still sound infact for something over 50 yrs old it was in great shape ,as you can see from the pictures showing the bare metal. the others show primed and finally sprayed . The paint had changed from when originally done ,no more cellulous but by using a combination of new stuff and some old cans I got a close colour to the original ,I hope! i'll post final assembly tomorrow .regards BobH 
United Kingdom

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #13 on: 17.09. 2012 11:00 »
Hi Dutch ,Admin and everyone who tried to help me get the hang of resizeing, perhaps you all heard the "penny " drop on Sunday afternoon about 3 pm?? Anyway now understand what was going on Best wishs BobH
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 19.09. 2012 10:05 »

No worries Bob, though dunno just how much help I was, didn't hear anything, but I get the picture..! wink2
Cheers
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia