Author Topic: 201x picture contest  (Read 2805 times)

Online admin

• Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
  • N & F
    • BSA A10
201x picture contest
« on: 28.06. 2012 22:26 »
So, keep on shooting, let's try to match or surpass the previous years entries (that won't be easy!). Start date and duration for the new vote will be like before = adjusted according to number of entries + number of votes.

For the rules, see http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,798.0.html .
Any questions, post as reply to this post.

Remember: post in a new topic, and upload the picture (*.jpg only, max 1500 kb) to the forum.

Thanks
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Online admin

• Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
  • N & F
    • BSA A10
Re: Next: the 2013 picture contest
« Reply #1 on: 30.06. 2012 14:19 »
Some posts removed. This topic is meant for questions about how to post a picture, contest rules, picture filesize, resolution, questions about photoequipment, help for editing of the photo before posting etc.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 03.08. 2013 16:06 »
Quick couple of questions.. file size limit I notice is 600kb, seems like that would be fine for most other parts of the forum, but for this topic would it be unreasonable to get that lifted a little?? Just in nowadays times even a phone camera will take a pic 4 times the size of that ;)
Are pictures allowed to be photoshopped?? I'm not meaning "cutting and shutting" things on or off bike, nor adding extra shine. I mean blurring a back ground, adding a frame, etc.  
This pic for example.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/338776_4185495645696_642822742_o.jpg

sorry I hadn't had a chance to resize pic to get under 600kb limit, hence why I've linked it.
And finally, can the pic be of more than one bike??
Thanks, Brett

adm edit: fixed the size and added as attachment.

Online admin

• Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
  • N & F
    • BSA A10
« Reply #3 on: 03.08. 2013 16:31 »
Just in nowadays times even a phone camera will take a pic 4 times the size of that
Right, that's exactly why there is a limit. We do not need to post pictures that are 5 x 4 Meters large. Such sizes are nice for printing or cropping, but for pc screen use, 1200 (pixels) x something or 1600 x something is fine, and the 600k size allows that. Any simple photo editing program will do the resize job in a few seconds. See the 'Forum Info & Help' board for more info about the trouble with (needlessly) gigantic files.

Last years pictures > http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=5274.0 were rezized to around 950 x ***, may do next years into 1200 or 1600 x *** (and still have no problems with the 600k). If anyone wants to look at some very large variant of the picture, just include a link to the server\cloud\photohosting were it's saved.

Many bikes welcome, just make separate topics, or a single topic if it's a group picture, of course.

About photoshopping: correcting colours, sharpness etc and some cropping and retouching, adjusting here and there is of course fine, but don't know about when it gets into a photoshop picture instead of a picture, if you get my meaning. No real rules about that, but I'd tend towards 'real bikes in real surroundings'. Hope this explains some.

That's a very nice A7 & I like the picture effect btw.

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 04.08. 2013 00:33 »
Thank you for the clarification, and I do apologize for the size of pic. Was late night and using the phone to upload :/
All makes perfect sense, the photoshoping I understand is always going to be a touchy point (how far is too far! The pic I uploaded showing the amount I was thinking... just seems that as much as tge red is quite bright on that A7, when you put in a pic with the green grass and other colours it all seems a bit too colorful hahah
and thanks for the compliment on the bike too :)

Online admin

• Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
  • N & F
    • BSA A10
Re: 201x picture contest
« Reply #5 on: 21.07. 2017 19:41 »
...time goes by and much to do, this part of the forum has been left idle for a while, "someday" we'll get it going again, ftm just post a picture if you feel like, and 'soon, in the fullnes of time' it will be organized into a voting poll.

& renamed board to 201x :O)

That said, if anyone is interesting in running the photo contest, send me a pm.

Thanks

btw, ref some posts above, the general attachment size limit is currently 1500kb.