Author Topic: BSA A10 Frame Cracks  (Read 1208 times)

Offline pete3000

• Moving Up
BSA A10 Frame Cracks
« on: 30.06. 2012 15:12 »
Hello everyone,
Quite new on the forum just finish to rebuilt my BSA in RGS configuration,and have done 300 miles since completion.
I have a question regarding the 2 front frame engine brackets, the ones that are brazed on the frame. 
I have notice very very small hair cracks between  those brackets and the frame where the brazing is. Well, I suppose that those brackets have been stressed (maybe engine vibrations).

It appears to be the paint that has cracked. I tried to remove the paint to see better but it is quite difficult to say, if is only the paint
that has cracked or the brazing.
Can the brazing crack ??

I will try to post some pictures.

Thank for your advices.

Offline pete3000

• Moving Up
Re: BSA A10 Frame Cracks
« Reply #1 on: 30.06. 2012 16:05 »
Picture...

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 30.06. 2012 16:36 »
Pete,

A little late to say,  but welcome to the forum. The picture may be a little out of focus,  but from what I can see,  there seems no need for concern and it can probably be left alone.  What I do see in the picture leads me to think this is a very clean bike that we would like to see in full instead of just a closeup of the exhaust pipe mounting bracket.

Another thing,  where are you located? Speaking for myself,  it's great to have the idea of the widespread reach of the forum and followers of A10s and A7s.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 30.06. 2012 16:47 »
Hiya Pete,
    G'day and welcome along, I'll reiterate what Richard said- from what I've seen the-lets call them 'Lugs',generally seem to be a bit like that, with a bit of a relief under?? I reckon when they start to rattle you can be concerned!
 Cheers duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline pete3000

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 30.06. 2012 16:56 »
Hi Richard,

Many thanls for your reply, and let my introduce myself, I think I have already done it, but let me do it again.
I actually live in south of France,it's been sevral years that I enjoy british bikes and always wanted to
acquire a RGS. I finally found what I was looking for in the UK and after lots of work, finally finish the bike. It's not a genuine one, but I tried to make one
as good as the original.
I have run with the bike, doing about 300 miles, works very good, got wiseco 72 mm  pistons, competition lucas magneto, original RGS carb.
Still need the RTT2 gearbox and the front 190 mm hub, but it will wait...
Of course, your are right for putting a nice picture of the bike, there it is !
Pete.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 30.06. 2012 21:10 »
I used to inspect structures and it was very common to see cracks in paint at welds, which upon investigation, we're just cracks in the paint.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing