Author Topic: Modern oil filter for an A10.....Need advice!!!!  (Read 7610 times)

Offline BSARoadRocket

• Moving Up
I'm interested in putting some sort of a modern in line oil filter onto my A10.  I have seen adapters for sale that are supposed to be reproductions of those originally used on Norton Commandos and take a spin on oil filter.  I've also seen oil filter kits that use the Triumph/BSA triple type oil filter that fits inside of a custom made canister.  I assume the filter would have to be added to the return line.   I would be very interested in any info from anybody who has any experience adding an oil filter to an A10 plunger or swing arm or any other vintage British bike for that matter that did not come with an oil filter.   I would think there would be quite a few people out there who have added oil filters to their vintage bikes.  If anybody is willing to share installation photos that would be a big help.   I'm trying to gather ideas to help figure out how I'm going to add a filter to my A10.
'47A7, '50GF, '53SF,  '55RR, '57GF, '58A7daily rider '60GSCatalina
'39T100, '506T '56TR6, '62TR6SS '49NortonDominator,
'73HD sportster.  Most are works in progress with much progress yet to be made!

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Modern oil filter for an A10.....Need advice!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 08.07. 2012 08:41 »
There's been a fair bit of discussion here about this, I know it can be a bit tedious, but if you search the forum you should find post and pics to get  you started. It's one of those things that has a lot of options and personal choice.
    cheers, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 08.07. 2012 14:42 »
As Dutch mentions, a quick troll of the old posts the will reveal pics and wisdom

Some locations for the spin on filter include:
Inside he toolbox
Anchored to the ski slope (I've seen both horizontal mounted and vertical mounted)
Anchored to battery carrier plate (spin on horizontal with bottom of filter facing aft)
Anchored to the frame down by the swing arm
Anchored up front of frame by the down tubes (possibly gets a bit of cooling as well?)

There's a tubular style filter housing (from MAP I think )that can be mounted any where on the frame or athwart ships underneath the battery carrier/gbox area.

I guess one of  the criteria beyond ensuring the filter is on the return line, the filters plumbing working properly and ease of access for filter change is how it looks or detracts from the look of the bike.
....a personal choice IMHO.

I chose to locate a custom made canister on the ski slope on my B33 (it's in full view on the bike) but have the norton style spin on hidden away in the toolbox on my A10.

Troll the old posts....there's a host of experiences there from guys far wiser than I.

HTH

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 08.07. 2012 20:53 »
 G'day Scotty,
                    got one on the A7 & A10 & A65. Just the sNorton type heads with HF153 spin on's. The '51 is mounted below and rear of the battery carrier, the '57 is where the ski slope should be and the '64 is on a bracket off the rear motor plates below the swing arm.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 04.04. 2017 10:31 »

Old thread, and an old comment from me, thinking 'it'll be an easy task to re-install my Norton filter.....that's the easy bit. I figured out the best way to squeeze it in, but then figured I better chase up a new element BEFORE I start to change the oil  *eek*... A Ryco Z93 from my local generic auto supplies has to be ordered in at a price of AU$45-48 bucks... *eek* *eek* *shh*

So my question is for Musko;  do you source them locally ??

I did some research and found that they are the same as used in Gutzzi's after mine (apart from Citroen 2 CV that I've always known about).... but at 45+ Clams, it's cheaper to change the oil twice/thrice as often *pull hair out*.... *dunno* *beer*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 04.04. 2017 11:03 »
G'day duTch.
Most Ducks use'm http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue/filter/hf153
Supercreap have'em http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Product/Hiflo-Motorcycle-Oil-Filter-HF153/131305
Bit cheaper here https://www.motorcyclespareswarehouse.com.au/products/hiflo-hf153-oil-filter
K&N do a 153 as well got mine from RipEveryPoorCyclistOff for about $22.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 04.04. 2017 11:13 »

Ta El Musko, I'll chase that up, but called ImaSupercreep, Ripperco, and Ortanobettabahn, which is the basis of my prices *eek*.

I forgot to add the links I found;
http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue/filter/HF153, and crossreference;

www.autopartoo.com/oem/partscrossinterchange/2314900

I'm starting to wonder if there's a better option....I first used this filter in the eighties, but someone came along and said it was hooked up wrong and I took it off *dunno*. I figured it'd be an easy fix now I know better, but..... *pull hair out*

Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 04.04. 2017 11:21 »
They are about 8GBP on Ebay here. https://goo.gl/RMy9jY
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 04.04. 2017 11:49 »

Thanks Gb; Bookmarked....but.always have to consider postage on top- cheapest ain't always cheapest. $$$/££££ *countdown*   

As it happens, my local Moto and Noturn sellers are literally next door neighbours, and only about a kilometre from where I'm being vocationally challenged tomorrow, so may as well go heckle them for some after-work entertainment, and see what they have to offer
Australia

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 04.04. 2017 13:15 »
As fitted to my bike from Morgo. Nice and compact and easy to get at.

Homemade bracket fixed to the lower bolt which attaches the ski slope cover.

http://www.morgo.co.uk/15-morgo-oil-filter-kit

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 04.04. 2017 13:24 »
BSARR,

Here are some links to posts showing several different approaches. The one with the pink spin-on (the last address) is my bike and is probably the one technique I would not recommend, as you can read in my post. The good things about it are that it works fine and is easy to change with relatively cheap cartridges (not sure "cartridges" is the right word, but you get it). The bad is that it is very visible (but looks much better now that I'm using a chromed cartridge).

Look closely at the versions by one our master builders, "Orabanda".

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=4776.msg32761#msg32761
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=867.msg5638#msg5638
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=5194.msg35417#msg35417
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=11530.msg87755#msg87755
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=2913.msg59586#msg59586

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 04.04. 2017 13:44 »
I'm still very happy with the filter location that I came up with. It's easily accessible, oil does not run all over the bike when changing filter units and it gets the breeze around it while riding so helps to cool the oil. My bike is a Plunger frame; due to engine/gearbox plates I guess this will probably not suit a swinging arm bike.

Quoting myself from November 2012

I bought a Norton 850 oil filter head and filter from Ebay intending to fit it in the toolbox of my plunger frame GF as others have done. However, the assembly was too wide to fit in the toolbox so I have mounted the filter on the rear mudguard behind the gearbox using nylock nuts.
Both parts are dull black so fairly inconspicious.
When mounted the filter head union stubs point towards the chain.
I've used Goodyear 8mm/5/16" ID reinforced rubber pipe to do the plumbing.
The oil feed pipe from oil tank to pump union pipes is as original.
The return from the pump is carried over the top of the gearbox, down between the vertical frame tube and the gearbox  then gently curves around to meet the filter inlet stub.
The filter outlet pipe is routed tightly underneath the gearbox and then up behind the pump union assembly so it appears adjacent to the original metal pipes. It lines up nicely with the rocker feed banjo and oil tank connector.
Finished off with proper hose clamps it looks neat and not too obtrusive.

Here is a link to some photos of the set up.

http://tinyurl.com/cqbbnj7
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 05.04. 2017 00:04 »
.... I flog B & S vanguard canisters for fitting into tight spaces.
They ar he shortest filter I have found that screws into the filter housing.
Kawakasi ( again mower ) filters are longer but a lot thinner.....

That's good to know Trev, I'll chase up  that B&S. And if that doesn't happen I'll try Chaterlea John's idea from;
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=11530.msg87755#msg87755
Australia

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 05.04. 2017 01:11 »
I'm interested in putting some sort of a modern in line oil filter onto my A10.  I have seen adapters for sale that are supposed to be reproductions of those originally used on Norton Commandos and take a spin on oil filter.  I've also seen oil filter kits that use the Triumph/BSA triple type oil filter that fits inside of a custom made canister.  I assume the filter would have to be added to the return line.   I would be very interested in any info from anybody who has any experience adding an oil filter to an A10 plunger or swing arm or any other vintage British bike for that matter that did not come with an oil filter.   I would think there would be quite a few people out there who have added oil filters to their vintage bikes.  If anybody is willing to share installation photos that would be a big help.   I'm trying to gather ideas to help figure out how I'm going to add a filter to my A10.

Attached a pic of mine, a so called "commando" filter housing, cheap to buy, also cheap replacement filters, it uses unmodified standard  bsa oil pipes, and an easy to make bracket bolted to the gearbox top bolt, it wobbles around a bit but the brackets has not cracked so far after several years. It's not a "hidden" solution obviously but I think being horizontal it looks a bit more like it could be original.......
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline ralph

• Moving Up
« Reply #14 on: 05.04. 2017 14:49 »
Probably the best and most cost effective mod I've made t't bike. Fitted new about 26 yrs ago and bought from Unity equipe, manx and triton bolt on goodie shop. Ive just had a look at their catalogue and they still do it.  Its been running with citroen 2CV filters and never had a problem.
Ive tried to show the rudimentary bkt I made to take the two tapped holes of the filter housing.
Iron head A10, Panther 120, BMW RS100, Norton 500T special,