Author Topic: Re-chrome, or not ?  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Nitti

• A's Good Friend
Re-chrome, or not ?
« on: 12.08. 2008 13:01 »
Its me again,

My tank (on a 53 Golden Flash Plunger), which is dent free and fairly ok, has a rather dull chrome, it is scratched, but also very thin in some places, I can also see the copper layer through the pitted chrome in some areas.

Sometimes I think I should leave it like this, to keep the original wear and tear obvious, and to demonstrate the shortage of chromium in the beginning of the 50s.

Then on some other occasions I would prefer to re-chrome it, at a (steep) cost

The bike will be re-sprayed and fitted with new rims, spokes, silencers etc. I am therefor also considering painting the sides of the tank, as an alternative to chroming it, like the 50-51 models.

Whats your view ?

1. Keep the dull chrome ?
2. Re-chrome ?
3. Paint ?

I guess I'm not he only one having had these thoughts, so give me/us your opinion !

Regards
Nitti

Nitti- Ekero/Sweden !
BSA Golden Flash-53 with Sidecar

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
Re: Re-chrome, or not ?
« Reply #1 on: 12.08. 2008 13:36 »
Hi Nitti   For me its re-chrome. My 57 swing arm has an all black tank as this is how it was when I got it. I am looking round for a chromed replacement but they seem to be like rocking horse manure. If the cost is not to high I will eventually get mine re-chromed as that is how it would have been. Have you any idea of the costs for re-chrome?
Regards Huddie

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #2 on: 12.08. 2008 13:51 »
Hmmmmmm ???? Cost is indeed a big deciding factor here. Whatever the final decision I think I'd start with using a good chrome cleaner to see if I could live with that result. But seeing you are to spend money on new rims, silencers and a re spray, then I'd have to have a re chrome. If your keeping the bike and having the job done properly, it only needs doing once. I would not go down the repaint route.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 12.08. 2008 15:26 »
I couldn't tell you what getting the plating done in the UK would cost, but there is a well-known plating house here in the US that lists the price for chroming a small tank at $477 and a large at $632. I have used them, very good work, but not on anything this substantial. Also, I am sure they are far from the cheapest.

Given the bondo and the price for chrome, I am pretty happy with paint on my tank.

www.brownsplating.com

Richard

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #4 on: 12.08. 2008 17:50 »
Cosmetics are something I am totally unqualified to comment on to any degree as I don't do them myself . . . However! - having gone to the expense of the other shiny bits and some paint, I think a dull or painted tank would probably be a constant source of disappointment to a justifiably proud owner. My vote is that you spend your money!
Bill

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 12.08. 2008 23:47 »
Rechrome. If you are doing the rest of the bike it would look terrible with a dull tank. Painted tanks never look right on an A7/A10.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #6 on: 13.08. 2008 00:38 »
Hi there Nitti, I would definitely go for chrome if finances allow. I have a painted tank on my A10 but only because the previous owner decided it would be a good idea to drill a few 5/16" holes in it. You can only wonder why. I have added a picture of my plunger A10 so you can see what they look like with a painted tank.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 13.08. 2008 06:04 »
Nitti,

Looking at Brians bike and at our administrator's bike at http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=35.0, I don't think one can say that paint detracts from the the general cool of the bike versus chrome, and, maybe, it adds to it. Since this seems to have turned into a voting process (remember, you're not obliged to accept anyone's opinion but your own), my vote is for paint, unless you are going for concourse stock. (I'm not really sure if chrome was stock on all models of your year.) If not concourse stock, where do you draw the line? Rembember that the cost of chrome is not the last cost, unless you are going to do your own painting and striping.

Richard

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 13.08. 2008 08:13 »
Have you seen the new reproduction tanks made in India, available with or without chrome? I'm not sure if they do the plunger type though  *conf*

Offline Nitti

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 13.08. 2008 09:29 »
Hi guys,

Thank you for your opinions, you are all contributing to the final decision. We have saying in Sweden that is based on the concensus tradition "A decision is growing" meaning that it is a slow a tedious process , but when there, everyone is happy. I do not think I can make everyone happy in the Golden Flash community, another saying is that "a camel is horse designed by a commitee", and I will try not to make a camel of the tank.
I have not made up my mind about the tank yet, so keep your comments flowing.

Brian, I saw some pictures of your bike in this forum , or elsewhere, and thats when I started to think about paining the tank. Your bike is more or less the vision of my bikes final result, since it looks so good. The original color of mine was Golden Beige, but has been re-sprayed in 5 different Gold shades, therefor I consider to go for total-respray in Black and Gold like yours. Do you have some more pictures that you can share with me, particularly on details on the tank ?

Fido, do you have some more info on the Indian tanks, links, pictures, experiences ???

Nitti

Nitti- Ekero/Sweden !
BSA Golden Flash-53 with Sidecar

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #10 on: 13.08. 2008 10:58 »
I had totally forgotten how nice Brians painted tank looks and indeed paint can and doe's look good if applied correctly. My M21 has a painted tank and looks fine. I think what put me off of paint on tanks is having once seen silver sprayed on as a substitute for Chrome, along with main colour and gold lining, it looked horrible. I do have a weakness for Gold Plating and would love to see that done on a Gold Flash. Boy! Would have to save pennies for that to be done.  *lol*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #11 on: 13.08. 2008 12:49 »
Thanks LJ *lol*, I have one of these tanks you labeled so nicely... *cry*
Seriously, I've been thinking about chrome for years, but I somehow like the laidback looks, and many plungers were originally non-chrome. I'll probably pay for chrome the day the tank needs some complete overhaul.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #12 on: 13.08. 2008 15:16 »
Nitti, heres a couple more photos. The tank is black all  over with just the two gold stripes. The stripes are tape, and the whole lot has a couple of coats of clear. Mine is also a 53' model but without the nacelle set up. The nacelle was badly damaged when I got the bike and I had the fork shrouds so went that way.  Brian

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 13.08. 2008 18:06 »
Mine was painted silver where the chrome should be and I was never happy with it.  Yes, it was very expensive getting the tank repaired, plated and painted, but I think it looks a zillion times better.  If you can afford it, there's nothing like a chrome beeza tank:
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #14 on: 13.08. 2008 18:31 »
Gosh I aint doing too well today *help*... Just as I manage to creep round Brian and praise his painted tank, I then go on to condem our Administers! Gulp  *doh* Time for me to take a quick exit I think.  *red*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.