Author Topic: Re-chrome, or not ?  (Read 4124 times)

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Re-chrome, or not ?
« Reply #15 on: 13.08. 2008 18:35 »
relax, relax! no offense whatsoever  *smile* I have secretely always admired chrome.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 13.08. 2008 19:08 »
Squint your eyes a little bit and you might picture Brian's bike with a chromed tank.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #17 on: 13.08. 2008 19:46 »
Agree, but depends much on how it's done, no? I'd say this one looks fine

Stand with

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 13.08. 2008 21:01 »
Yep, that's a beauty, but a whole different feel, not to mention a much better PhotoShop job (kidding).

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #19 on: 14.08. 2008 00:34 »
Photoshop ! why didnt I think of that. I was going to spend a heap of money getting another tank and getting it chromed but I dont need to. All this time I have had a chrome tank inside my computer just waiting to be put on the bike........... Seriously though, I would have chromed my tank if I could have and if I ever find a repairable tank will do so but I am quite happy with the painted one on it now. So to go back to Nitti's original question I would say if your tank is good enough and money allows it, get it chromed.

Offline GuyboA10

• Moving Up
  • 53' A10 B4 Restore.
« Reply #20 on: 16.08. 2008 04:30 »
Hey Brian, looks like u have a few previous owners hanging around your bike! lol scary or crap?  Seriously, fantastic bike, mines a 53/54'.
In regards to chroming, if u can afford it, i'd go with that 4 sure. Although, depending on the paint scheme, some painted tanks look great too!
cheers, Guy.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #21 on: 16.08. 2008 08:57 »
You do need to be sure that the platers know their stuff. I had my A7SS tank re-chromed by a friend of a friend of a friend. They must have overheated the metal during polishing and left ripples in the surface. The tank looked OK from a distance but I was never happy with it. As it happens I didn't have to look at the ruined tank for many months before the bike was stolen  *evil*

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #22 on: 16.08. 2008 10:51 »
If anyone has experienced who does 1st class tank repair\chroming (UK or scandinavia), please post. I see some rust creeping around inside (welded a leaks by the tap), so one day it will be sent away for a complete restoration, metal, dents, chrome, paint.

(fido, that's was a 2x sad story  *sad2*. btw, stealling anybody's classic should be worthy of capital punishment)

Stand with

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #23 on: 28.08. 2008 16:40 »
Ive always liked the look or the Matchless / AJS painted tank with the gold line which cuts back around the grips. Its very elegant sopmehow.

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #24 on: 28.08. 2008 20:24 »
Lewis Templeton did my tank. The standard of workmanship is unbelievably high. The chrome plating is seriously heavy duty as is the paint. In fact I went to them because I saw a bike advertised for sale and one of the selling features was the fact that the tank had been finished by Lewis Templeton. The tank was away for about 2 months and it certainly was not cheap (£400) but it was worth every last penny.
http://mysite.verizon.net/resoo5nd/index.html  Everybody that sees my tank comments on how good it looks, and as it is the focal point of your bike you really want to go for the best job that you can get.