Author Topic: Is my dynamo still not polarized right?  (Read 3820 times)

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
Re: Is my dynamo still not polarized right?
« Reply #15 on: 29.07. 2012 20:46 »
Hi Dutch
I ordered a Dyno Tech from Sean Hawker. I have had two Danish ones, one which I fried out of stupidity (switching field and dynamo...), and the current one which act up, though I have been very careful not make the same mistake again.

Cheers, Otto
Otto in Denmark

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 30.07. 2012 00:19 »
Ok Otto,good luck with it cheers

Afterthought here, correct me if I read it wrong, you said you had the volt meter connected to the D+F bridged, and I may be guessing a bit here, but the way I see it, 'D' output is not regulated, so maybe that's why your output is high.
Playing with mine yesterday, I had 2 Volt meters, one on the battery which gave I think about 7+, and another on the 'D' which went to over 9v, but  the literature suggests 'don't go over 10v', so am thinking this is acceptable as it's unregulated, as opposed to the 'A' terminal ...??
Maybe someone already covered all that though??

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 30.07. 2012 12:53 »
Hi Dutch, I'm pretty certain the reg controls the field current not armature current and by controlling the field current it controls the armature voltage and current. If the voltage on the battery gets too high the reg reduces the volts/power it's supplying to the field and so on.

Bridging the armature and field connections and spinning the armature as a test causes the armature to pass current through the field (assuming there is some residual magnetism in the field to start things off) and this increases the magnetism in the field to abive its residual level which increase the power generated by the armature which further increases the magnetism in the field and so on, so this test will lead to spiralling up voltages  - if you see what I mean!

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 31.07. 2012 00:50 »
Hi Kiwi,
           You're probably right there, but first let me reiterate that I'm fairly much a novice at regulators, and what I say is as much a question as otherwise.
             I'm sure you're right in what you say, but I did say " 'A' terminal' meaning the ammeter (not armature), and with the volt meter on 'D'  was with the reg in circuit,(as opposed to voltage on D+F bridged, reg out of circuit).  (sorry just re-read your post )
       I understand as you say the 'D' feeds 'F' feeds 'D'..., in a continuing upward voltage spiral till melting point(hence- 'don't go over 10v')?
 So if I have a slightly higher voltage at 'D' I'm imagining that the regulator needs to be adjusted down a bit with the spring adjusting screw to (? 7.2v~?)...?
     Regulator is a new ~replica RB107, sold as a MCR2, and all my testing is on the bench with drill drive, so am trying to wait till it's in place before adjusting anything.

Hope I'm not Hijacking Ottos' thread, but it is related.

Cheers and thanks for the input, hope I got all that in right perspective?, duTch

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 31.07. 2012 08:48 »
The voltage at D (output from the dynamo) should be the same or very close to the voltage at the A (ammeter) that you are measuring, once the dynamo output exceeds the battery voltage.   The voltage form the D terminal passes through the regulator contacts ( which should be closed once the voltage exceeds the battery voltage) and the series winding which should be low resistance and therefore no give any significant voltdrop.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 31.07. 2012 12:47 »
Thanks Warmshed, appreciate that, I think we're on the same page, but'll have to process that again a little later, will have to get back in regulator mode, my Thunder'nLightning conrods turned up today , so am in that phase for now..cheers,duTch
Australia