Author Topic: Tank  (Read 1259 times)

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
Tank
« on: 16.07. 2012 08:27 »
Don't know the identity of this tank? Looks modified but single or twin must be worth something/ Evidence of chrome underneath paint. No evidence of filled indents for sunken badges inside but cant see if there's evidence of screw holes but hard too see inside without dentists mirror. Am in Victoria for sale.

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
Re: Tank
« Reply #1 on: 16.07. 2012 08:29 »
Underneath.

beezermacc

« Reply #2 on: 16.07. 2012 18:34 »
If there are no badge indents and no blind holes for knee pads I would suggest WDB40

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #3 on: 17.07. 2012 12:48 »
Nope,
WD B40 tanks are the same as Gold Star trials tanks ( which is why you can not get one now for love nor money ).

They have off set dish in the bottom as per all the single tanks.

His tank is defineaty from a twin.
The square hole is funny but could have been a repair.
A lot of tanks crack or wear through the mounting tube.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

beezermacc

« Reply #4 on: 19.07. 2012 17:44 »
Sorry to disagree but I am still of the opinion this is a WDB40 tank. I have owned a WDB40 and it had a tank like this. I have also converted two WDB40 tanks into RGS and Shooting Star tanks respectively. I have seen one WDB40 with a GS trials tank but all the others i've seen have the standard A10 shape with two taps in a slightly different position to the A10. I've just checked out Lee Mitchell's website http://bsawdb40.com/and all the bikes in his 23 strong collection have tanks which, outwardly, look like standard A10 tanks. Fundamentally, if the tank is the same shape as an A10 tank and has neither badge indents nor knee grip screws what else can it be?

Offline paulo

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 19.07. 2012 22:51 »
I own a MK1 WD B40 and, barring the square area underneath, which I agree looks like a repair, my tank looks just the same as this one. There was a MK 2 version, some of which may have used a different tank, but these are very rare, only sold to a limited range of markets (Jordan springs to mind). Having said that the only pictures I've seen of a MK 2 featured the same tank...

As a point of interest lots of WDs found their way to Australia for army use. Your tank could well be off one of these. Another bike which went to Aus was the B40 'pastoral', built for farm use, which was heavily based on the B40 WD.

Cheers P

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #6 on: 20.07. 2012 12:28 »
From the top.
I am in Australia and all of the WD B40GA tanks I have seen were off set indents as per normal for a single.
The tank is identical to the GS trials ( I think ) tank. whatever the model was that did not have any tank badges.
BSA made most of their own tanks and if you ever try to remake them you will see that there were only a few actual different shapes for the top pressing ( ignoring different capacitites ) and only about 6 different bottom pressings.
I was going to reproduce BSA tanks and when I looked closely & measured all that I could get my hands on it looks like they could nearly all could have been made with only a few die sets then cut down ,folded back & cut off at different angles to make most tanks.

My WM20 wears an Empire Star tank and when I made a casting of it, a real WM 20 tank sits perfectly in it only differing in that it is shorter & taller but that would simply be a case of trimming the pressings off at different places.

I put the tank used on the Aust bikes down to BSA using what ever left overs they had that were within the stipulated capacity or at the very least what ever die sets they had laying around that were still servicable. After all the order was only for 479 bikes + spares so it would not be worth making up a new die set for a production run that short.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #7 on: 21.07. 2012 01:15 »
Just to add another fly in the ointment...    *conf*   the tank that came with my project is the same..   ????
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 21.07. 2012 10:56 »
This is out of my league, as I don't have a swing arm jobby, but judging by the apparent lack of any kind of symmetry, it's a repair, but also is there any chance that it could have been something to do with a fancy 'head steady' modification??, as per other threads?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia