Author Topic: Loss of Clutch & no gear selection  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Weggy

• Active
Loss of Clutch & no gear selection
« on: 16.07. 2012 11:59 »
My 1959 GF on changing down the clutch lever went slack & engine out of gear.Back home the kickstart not turning the engine over and although gear selection sounded Ok no gear engagement possible.Clutch pushrod loose but correct length on removing the Primary case the clutch basket was loose I re-tightened the sleeve  nut and it turned with the kickstart but still unable to get any gear. Has anybody any ideas and will the gearbox have to come out?

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Loss of Clutch & no gear selection
« Reply #1 on: 16.07. 2012 14:09 »
The clutch basket would have to be very loose for the key in the shaft not to turn the clutch, would suggest you remove the clutch and check mainshaft key as a first step.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Weggy

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 16.07. 2012 20:33 »
Thanks Bill you were spot on but the worrying thing is that key had sheared (why)-- but the mainshaft seems to turn aesily enough. Still unable to engage any gear even the gear blever seems to index correctly.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 17.07. 2012 10:02 »
That sounds not too good Weggy, if you can now turn the engine over with the kick start that's a plus I think.
I think your next step is to remove the end cover from the gearbox and have a look see if you can see anything a miss, if everything looks fine then remove the inner cover.  take photos as you go and ask, ask ,ask whenever you come on anything your not sure about.
As the main shaft key sheared it kind of points to something locking up in the box, as you can now turn the box over with the kickstart perhaps wht caused the problem is lying in te bottom of the box so drain the oil out into a clean container and watch for anything lying about in the box.
The gearbox is fairly simple even though it doesn't look that way if you never been in one before so don't be put off, plenty friends here to help provided you have some pictures to help

Keep us informed of progress
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Weggy

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 17.07. 2012 11:02 »
Hi Bill thanks again will do as you have advised  and as I have found to my cost photos are essential also sketches.
Will get back to you with a progress report.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 17.07. 2012 12:10 »
Nb Weggy, You asked 'does the box need to come out?' , no, the box can be stripped apart without removal from the bike, but it's easier to look at everything if it is out, and not a lot more involved.
 Cheers n' good luck, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Weggy

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 17.07. 2012 20:57 »
Hi Dutch-- well thats a relief as it was the one thing I was dreading. But with the mainshaft woodruff key having sheared I feel that it could be serious I am just hoping that with the gearbox cover off all will be revealed.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 17.07. 2012 21:20 »
 G'day Weggy,
                   sounds like something has either bent or broke in there. Work your way in checking everything, starting with the cam plate plunger (detent). Have you backed it off and tried to select gears? Gear selector plate and quadrant might be worn.
I can't see how the clutch coming loose would cause the prob with the box.
Don't force anything, if it seems stuck jump back on here and ask.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Weggy

• Active
« Reply #8 on: 18.07. 2012 10:38 »
Hi Muskrat  the point about the cam plate plunger makes sense having looked at the schematic drawings so will try that first before stripping off the gearbox cover.

Offline Weggy

• Active
« Reply #9 on: 21.07. 2012 20:49 »
Sorry for the delay in updating you all but as well as the problem with the A10GF for my sins I am also restoring a Greeves Anglian (no comments please). Gearbox outer cover off and no apparent damage I can move the quadrant but still no gears I also tried loosening the camplate plunger to no effect so I assume that the problem is gear selector/cam plate??

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 21.07. 2012 21:23 »
 Looks like you will have to dig deeper. Once the inner cover is off it will be difficult to index the gears but can be done. Look for broken dogs ( had one in my A65 that stopped top gear selection) and wear on quadrant and cam plate.
Cheers.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 21.07. 2012 21:33 »
Yes - inner cover might reveal more, something caused the mainshaft key to shear, and no gear selection still, possible camplate and/or selector fork problem has had consequences to other rotating parts
All the best - Bill

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 22.07. 2012 10:59 »
Hey weggy,
              Before you go berserk and pull things apart, have you tried rolling the bike/rear wheel(if on C.stand) while doing engagement, as sometimes the dogs inside just aren't quite ready to 'hook up', if you know what I mean, ie maybe the shafts and gears just need to realign naturally?
 Just seems odd that you suddenly had this issue due to something else?? just a thought/
 cheeers duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Weggy

• Active
« Reply #13 on: 23.07. 2012 12:56 »
Hi All
The last pieced of advice from Dutch has done the trick as I ran the gear sequence whilst rotating the rear wheel and after a few turns bingo it all dropped into place and I can now get all gears!! So i can now rebuild everything and get back on the road. Just one question remains and that is do I need to align the dots on the Quadrant and case before I fit the outer gearcase cover?
Once again thanks to all of you for your invaluable advice.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 23.07. 2012 13:26 »
Thanks Weggy, glad to help, and I reckon you need to at least check the indexing is correct in the correct procedure, but will let someone who knows more, deal with that as I have a plunger and it's different.
 cheers duTch
Australia