Author Topic: Back up and running - 100 mile road test today  (Read 715 times)

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
Hi All,

Some of you may remember my exploding barrell episode a few months back (spigot came away and wrecked the pistons and barrells) I have finally got the bike back on the road and tested it today with my resleeved barrells and Taiwanese pistons. So far so good, engine seems to run well with plenty of grunt. The tappet clearences have opened up and it sounded like a machine gun by the time I got back, just going to reset them now (this happened last time I put the motor back together) Motor cut out after 4 miles to my horror, this was due to petrol flooding out of the carb, turned out to be a sticky float valve, after taking the carb off on the side of the road and sorting that out it carried on with out any further problems. Of course I have the compulsory rocker box leak but the bolts were not that tight so have nipped them up and hopefully that will stem the flow. Anyway its nice to have the old girl running again and hopefully she will stay together longer than last time !

Cheers

Duncan
Anglo - Indian A7SS (Actually is a 650)
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Back up and running - 100 mile road test today
« Reply #1 on: 18.07. 2012 20:56 »
 G'day Duncan, great to hear your back on the road.
If you touch the rockerbox bolts you must recheck the tappets. Tightening the bolts closes the gap.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 18.07. 2012 22:06 »
Well done and respects for all the work done, quite a story it was > http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,5003.0.html (excellent posts & pictures). Hoping you will get lots of km's (miles) out of it now.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 19.07. 2012 08:39 »
Thanks Muskrat and a10gf,

I nipped up the rockerbox bolts before resetting the tappets.

I had to go for a cheap pair of thin flange barrels in the end with a resleeve to std (done by Derrick at T & L engineering) Every set of thick flange barrels I went for ended up going for silly money and were either on the max wear limit or broken fins (or both) I am hoping with the low comp pistons all will be ok.
Anglo - Indian A7SS (Actually is a 650)
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS