Author Topic: Engine noise  (Read 867 times)

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
Engine noise
« on: 22.07. 2012 15:38 »
Had parked the 51 gold flash up for 7 weeks, while outa town. Came home and drained the wet sump, topped the oil up, and on reviewing now, am pretty sure I had overfilled it. (Drained a bit out now)

Went for a good ride, all was well. Parked up for a spell, then started again to head home and managed to leave the choke on.. (Jetlag is my alibi) It fouled the left hand plug, (Guessing the induction bias gasket works a bit too well) but that has since cleaned up.

I am left with a "heavier than tappet" noise under load. Before I tear it all down to see what the cause may be... does anyone have some clues or previous experience I may benefit from? Thanks.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Engine noise
« Reply #1 on: 24.07. 2012 21:11 »
 G'day Gavin, good to hear your home safe, it's a big bad world out there.
Noise under load could be big end. Get your local mechanic to have a listen.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Tukig

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 24.07. 2012 22:39 »
Hi Gavin,

I'll go along with Muskie, Get it investigated even if it means an engine strip. I'm in the middle of a costly rebuild through ignoring early warning signs. Caught early it could well be a simple and cheap or even cost free fix. Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Gary

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 29.07. 2012 13:11 »
Thanks for the " Thoughts" I thunked a little myself, and figured if it started making a noise when the choke was on, it could have sooted up considerably in the pot that didn't fire... so I bought some carby cleaner and made a keyhole entry in the aircleaner boot, and performed a lil surgery giving it a good dose of cleaner aimed at that pot.

Took it for a good run after the "proceedure" and couldn't get any more noise out of it.

Back in the shed, I checked the magnetic sump plug, which was clean and would now be quietly confident ( having done about 50mile on it) that I might have had a win.

This may say more about my nature than the bikes... but about another 200 mile should see me convinced !!!

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 29.07. 2012 19:46 »
 G'day Gavin,
                 sounds like the old 5 minute de-coke, water spray was used to sort of steam clean the combustion chamber.
Hope that's all it was. Keep an ear out thou.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7