Author Topic: Engine noise  (Read 769 times)

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
Engine noise
« on: 22.07. 2012 15:38 »
Had parked the 51 gold flash up for 7 weeks, while outa town. Came home and drained the wet sump, topped the oil up, and on reviewing now, am pretty sure I had overfilled it. (Drained a bit out now)

Went for a good ride, all was well. Parked up for a spell, then started again to head home and managed to leave the choke on.. (Jetlag is my alibi) It fouled the left hand plug, (Guessing the induction bias gasket works a bit too well) but that has since cleaned up.

I am left with a "heavier than tappet" noise under load. Before I tear it all down to see what the cause may be... does anyone have some clues or previous experience I may benefit from? Thanks.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Engine noise
« Reply #1 on: 24.07. 2012 21:11 »
 G'day Gavin, good to hear your home safe, it's a big bad world out there.
Noise under load could be big end. Get your local mechanic to have a listen.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Tukig

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #2 on: 24.07. 2012 22:39 »
Hi Gavin,

I'll go along with Muskie, Get it investigated even if it means an engine strip. I'm in the middle of a costly rebuild through ignoring early warning signs. Caught early it could well be a simple and cheap or even cost free fix. Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Gary

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 29.07. 2012 13:11 »
Thanks for the " Thoughts" I thunked a little myself, and figured if it started making a noise when the choke was on, it could have sooted up considerably in the pot that didn't fire... so I bought some carby cleaner and made a keyhole entry in the aircleaner boot, and performed a lil surgery giving it a good dose of cleaner aimed at that pot.

Took it for a good run after the "proceedure" and couldn't get any more noise out of it.

Back in the shed, I checked the magnetic sump plug, which was clean and would now be quietly confident ( having done about 50mile on it) that I might have had a win.

This may say more about my nature than the bikes... but about another 200 mile should see me convinced !!!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 29.07. 2012 19:46 »
 G'day Gavin,
                 sounds like the old 5 minute de-coke, water spray was used to sort of steam clean the combustion chamber.
Hope that's all it was. Keep an ear out thou.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7