Author Topic: Oil plug screw removal  (Read 2026 times)

Offline michael snellin

• A's Good Friend
Oil plug screw removal
« on: 23.07. 2012 17:43 »
Hello, everyone, bit of a task on my hands,does any one know how to remove the oil plugs to clean out the oil gallies on the small bearing crankshaft on the a10.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oil plug screw removal
« Reply #1 on: 23.07. 2012 17:54 »
Michael,

I am not certain that the procedure for small bearing and large bearing is the same.

Here is a link to an article describing one approach that calls for drilling out the plugs and using a hex wrench for removal:

http://www.reocities.com/MotorCity/downs/9472/endplug.html

Also, here is some more discussion of the issue: http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,1172.msg8141.html#msg8141 . (The link above references the same article in the discussion thread. The link from Lannis does not work.)

Richard L.

P.S.

Lannis, are you out there?

beezermacc

« Reply #2 on: 23.07. 2012 20:01 »
This is what I do....
Fortunately the plugs are made out of soft iron so drill straight through the centre of the plug with steadily increasing drill sizes until the hole almost reaches the threads then collapse the plug from the outside of the threads with a sharp punch. Finish by tidying up the threads with a tap. Sounds a bit crude but it does work.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 23.07. 2012 21:03 »
 G'day Michael,
                    first you need to clean the punch marks, just touch them with a 1/8" - 3/16" drill. Usually a good hit with an impact driver (bit should be a good fit) moves the screw. If not then drill and use easyout (a big one #5). Still no good , use beezermacc's method.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 23.07. 2012 22:01 »
Quicker to weld a bolt to the screw and remove it with a spanner.

Trev.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 23.07. 2012 23:28 »
Wow.  You guys really hate the hex wrench method.  As they say, "worked a treat" for me. Beezermac's method requires owning a tap. Muskie's counts on the impact driver actually working.  Trev's requires you to have a good welding kit and fair welding skills. I don't doubt any of their knowledge.  They all must have succeded with those approaches.  I just know what worked for me with my limited kit of tools and knowledge. You could try Muskie's method,  followed by mine, followed by Beezermac's. Hard to imagingine it would not be out by then,  but Trev's would be ruled out.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 24.07. 2012 09:48 »
the good bit about Trevs' is that it may have initiated just enough isolated heat to crack the seal??? maybe
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 24.07. 2012 10:43 »
And if your lucky it wont weld the plug to the crank. *eek* *smile*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline michael snellin

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 24.07. 2012 15:44 »
Ok,guys,plenty of choices here let see what happens.??? Thanks to all.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 24.07. 2012 17:49 »
And if your lucky it wont weld the plug to the crank. *eek* *smile*
Cheers
That'd suck, but if the welding earth is attached to the bolt would be best?? and aim well-no guess work!

the good bit about Trevs' is that it may have initiated just enough isolated heat to crack the seal??? maybe
  Obviously heating the plug is the wrong way round too, so would need to cool way down (nitrogen spray?)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 24.07. 2012 19:01 »
Dutch,

I'm guessin' you're just playing with the whole idea of it. It just seems to me that the welding approach would be the much more difficult and risky approach, perhaps to be attempted only by someone with the skills of Trev.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 24.07. 2012 19:14 »
Yo Richard, I guess it's not something that you'd have a go at unless you're confident, and am doing my best to point out(with musky's help) any pitfalls or benefits- don't like to entice anyone out of depth, but am always interested in a new technique, as they are a bitch.
 I have an old rusty crank here,(on 40 under, still can get -60)  that I may just have a go at when time allows.

Cheers for now
Australia

Offline michael snellin

• A's Good Friend
Oil plugs removal !!!!
« Reply #12 on: 29.07. 2012 17:24 »
Hi, all spent the best part of Sat removing the dreaded oil way plugs, rather be doing brain surgery !!!! one came out ok the second one wanted to stay there, had to do what beezermac said drill down to the edge, and remove the remains, am i right in thinkin it is 5/8 26tpi to clean up the threads, also is there any thing special regarding putting back new plugs, Loctite, etc, thanks to all you guys for your help.

adm edit: moved from 'Bikes, Pictures..' board.

beezermacc

« Reply #13 on: 29.07. 2012 20:08 »
Thread spec is 5/8 x 20 t.p.i. which is a standard CEI20 size (CEI is cycle thread, normally 26 t.p.i. but CEI20 is 20 t.p.i). I make my plugs from sawn off bolts! Make sure you don't block the entry oilway by screwing the plug in too far. I wouldn't use loctite. Don't forget to punch / stake the edge to prevent self uncrewing. Blow through the oilway before fitting the rods. Get as much oil in the crank as you can before fitting the rods. Have fun!

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 29.07. 2012 21:05 »
After years on the forum, I can still be surprised, amused and confusd by some of the recommended solutions. Presently confusing is, why one would make these crankshft plugs from old bolts when nice new hex-drive versions are readily available and cheap to ship? I bet there's a good reason
 that I'm just missing.

Richard L.