Author Topic: Oil plug screw removal  (Read 2033 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oil plug screw removal
« Reply #15 on: 29.07. 2012 21:39 »
Hi Richard
Don't be surprised by any "because I can" answers, it's a man thing
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline baz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 29.07. 2012 21:40 »
be very carefull if you use an easyout they break very easily then its time for spark eroding,my preference is to drop a washer over the plug then weld the centre building the weld up then i put a large nut over it and core weld it to the nut and unscrew it when it cools i have done this many times without fail............baz

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 30.07. 2012 00:07 »
I forgot to add  earlier that I did try Richards' Allen key method, but didn't succeed, so did the drill out/destruction method and managed to save enough thread to gauge it at 11tpi (LJx7/8"), which is same as BSF.(just for the record). I replaced with the U-beaut socket/allen plugs .
   Cheers duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

beezermacc

« Reply #18 on: 30.07. 2012 04:51 »
After years on the forum, I can still be surprised, amused and confusd by some of the recommended solutions. Presently confusing is, why one would make these crankshft plugs from old bolts when nice new hex-drive versions are readily available and cheap to ship? I bet there's a good reason
 that I'm just missing.

Richard L.

I made about ten of these, nicely parted off on the lathe, properly milled slots, superb fit. Took me about 45 minutes, cost £1.   I shouldn't have used the expression 'sawn off' - sorry!
I see that most people resorted to my method for removal in the end.... needs must!
An important note to Michael Snellin - You are talking about the small journal crank, aren't you? The plugs have thread sizes as I stated previously. the large journal crank has a much bigger plug as stated in Dutch's post.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 30.07. 2012 13:17 »
Some people have better shops than others (here, I am others). At the same time, doesn't the use of a slot invite the same removal troubles, versus the hex variety?

Richard L.

beezermacc

« Reply #20 on: 30.07. 2012 16:25 »
Deeper, broader slot makes for easier removal, also I'd be very surprised if many of us do enough miles to warrant doing this job more than once.

Offline tv175

• Moving Up
« Reply #21 on: 30.07. 2012 17:58 »
What means "cei20"? Can anyone tell me, what thread is in -59 Super Rocket?

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #22 on: 30.07. 2012 20:34 »
 I'm with you on this one Richard. And if the hex is rounded out by the use of ill fitting keys the start of the hole for easyout is there.
tv125, cycle thread comes in two types 26 tpi for most nuts & bolts and 20 tpi for the larger sizes http://www.motalia.com/Html/Charts/cycle_chart.html is a good chart.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7