Author Topic: Loss of Clutch & no gear selection  (Read 2884 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Loss of Clutch & no gear selection
« Reply #15 on: 23.07. 2012 14:11 »
WHOA - hold on a minute, you may well have got all gears but something happened to cause the mainshaft key to shear, and what ever caused that might be somehting that is now lying in the bottom of your gearbox, possibly out of harms way but probably NOT and is there to cause untold damage to your box not to mention YOU.
You need to take off the inner cover and make sure all is well in there.

We do not want to get mails from members asking where Weggy went
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Weggy

• Active
« Reply #16 on: 23.07. 2012 20:22 »
As the outer cover is already off it makes sense to remove the inner cover and have a good look around.
When done will send a final post to reort the result.
Thanks again everyone.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #17 on: 23.07. 2012 20:34 »
 I tend to agree. The key may have sheared because of the nut coming loose BUT!!!
I was lucky with the A65 as the broken dog stayed in the bitch (other gear) and prevented further engagement of that dog (top gear). Had it dropped out  *eek*.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 24.07. 2012 09:38 »
Yup ok, I'll go with that -fair call, not that hard to have a look, good to see you're on ya toes, cheers
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #19 on: 24.07. 2012 10:49 »
Your thought was correct Dutch. Almost every time you try to change gear without the motor going you have to rock the bike back and forth till it goes in.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 24.07. 2012 17:32 »
I think I must just do it automatically,even with my Moto and when I went out the other day/night, it dawned on me(not the sun-the idea).
 Still worth having a look inside though hey!
  Cheers
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Weggy

• Active
« Reply #21 on: 26.07. 2012 20:56 »
Hi All
Had the inner gearboxcover off and all seems Ok no bitts of metal in the bottom of the box and the gears index in the correct sequence. So it looks as if the Woodruff key sheared in half due to the sleeve nut coming loose possibly over a period of tme. Now in the process of re-assembly. Holiday imminent so will post a final update as & when.
Thanks All

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 27.07. 2012 01:04 »
That's heartening, did you pull all the bits right out or just look in? Having got that far,it's probably worth pulling everything out, being not much more.
     Good luck with it ,happy holiday!!
Australia

Offline Weggy

• Active
« Reply #23 on: 29.07. 2012 18:33 »
Hi Guys
This could be the last question (hopefully) I am into the box rebuild and when the dot on the quadrant is aligned with the one on the inner cover should the gears be in neutral (cause mine are not) or is this just so that the quadrant locates correctly with the selector fork when fitting the outer cover??

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 29.07. 2012 19:09 »
That's a yes Weggy.
The box must be in neutral and the dots lined up, then fit the outer cover and secure with just a couple of the nuts, next see if all the gears can be selected, turning the wheel with your hand as you work the gear lever, if all's well fit the rest of the fasteners, sometimes you might have to align the dots slightly off one way or another to get all the gears, my Flash box works with the dots lined up but the rocket needs the selector dot one notch lower.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Weggy

• Active
« Reply #25 on: 29.07. 2012 19:49 »
Bill--- thanks for the prompt reply have just come back in from the workshop and it all checks out so can now put it all back together.