Author Topic: A10 engine query  (Read 1308 times)

Offline bigmike76

• Active
A10 engine query
« on: 05.08. 2012 13:01 »
Hi

I have just got hold of an A10 which is a 1960, I have the original registration ducuments.
The problem I am having is it is an alternator version with the A letter on the engine, it has a dynamo also, the primary outer cover is the one with the round plate, the problem is the primary side was all stripped and then left in someone's garage for several years, I got a clutch assembly with it which is the 6 spring version, but i have no engine sprocket.  From what I can see the alternator fits on to the outer casing and the rotor onto the crank, there is also a cush drive with it, but the nut is to big for the thread on the crank, and you wouldn't be able to fit the alternator rotor, it looks very similar to the A65 setup, but obviously you couldn't use one as it uses a duplex chain, could you use the triumph clutch assembly for the alternator pre unit engine?

Also it has an extra letter and what looks like a star shape stamped on the engine case to the rear of the barrels on top of where the end of the camshaft would be (the end bearing area) the letter is an 'F'. Does anyone know what this might mean.

The frame and engine numbers are the original pairing from the factory as I have all documents to confirm this.

Thanks
Mike

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: A10 engine query
« Reply #1 on: 05.08. 2012 17:42 »
Hi Mike,
Welcome to the Forum  *smile*
Its a great place to find out all about your A10 and maybe even how to make an authertic Indian curry LOL

You have a rare version of the A10, I think most alternator models were destined for Police work?? (or is this a myth??)
There was a recent topic on this and even the peculiar wiring diagram showing the alt and dynamo working in parrallel
The clutch you need is indeed the cush type from an Alternator Triumph, this is basically the same as the 4 spring BSA,  except for the centre that fits the shaft (different taper) and the plate hub with the cush drive
There have been several threads on varying depth of taper on the centres, and crap pattern ones with the oil scroll cut in the wrong direction

The engine sprocket should be a solid mount on the crank inside the alternator rotor, the rotor nut locks everything in place, some shimming may be required to align the engine and Clutch sprockets
I'm not sure where to go for the correct engine sprocket??? but I got one for an alternator B33 last year from Vale Onslows
I think the "F" is an inspecrors mark???
Dont know about the * mark ????

HTH
John O R

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.08. 2012 19:03 »
It's a great place to find out all about your A10 and maybe even how to make an authertic Indian curry LOL
*lol* LOL  (really) *lol*

Offline bigmike76

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 08.08. 2012 16:47 »
Hi

Thanks for that, if anyone has any diagrams for the assembly that would be very helpfull.

Would the centre hub from an a65 work as this is shock absorbing?

cheers

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 09.08. 2012 00:24 »
Hope it's the right crankshaft for it. Show us a picture of the end of the crank.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 09.08. 2012 00:41 »
Hi Mike,
The shock absorber unit, plates and pressure plate from the A65 can be used, but the shaft adaptor needs to be the pre unit BSA one
HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)