Author Topic: Swingarm side play?  (Read 792 times)

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
Swingarm side play?
« on: 11.08. 2012 21:41 »
Hello all,

I am contemplating to renew the dreaded silent bloc bushes. When I grab the rear wheel, and rock it sideways, I have about 1 mm play at the wheel spindle. Is this permissible or way too much? It clearly has play at the silent bloc bushes, which I guess it should not have at all? My guess is that the spindle (hollow) is loose in the bushes???

Regards, Otto in Denmark
Otto in Denmark

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Swingarm side play?
« Reply #1 on: 11.08. 2012 22:22 »
My guess is that the spindle (hollow) is loose in the bushes???

If that's the case your the envy of many Otto they usually end up seized in.

1 mm could easily come from bearings, are you sure it's the sw/arm, if it is then first I'd try tightening the hollow spindle nut, sit or get someone to sit on the bike when you tighten it so the bushes are at riding position when tightened
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 12.08. 2012 12:00 »
Hi Otto to reinforce the previous post the rubber does not generally degrade and cause play at the wheel, it's more likely that the swing arm spindle is loose in the frame and the spindle nut is loose as well, and the only way to really fix that is to either renew the spindle (which is a pain as usually seizes in the blocs) or fix the frame holes, depending on which is causing the play.

Or do the swing arm spindle nut up VERY tight *smiley4*

In my case a groove had worn in the spindle where it passes through the frame, probably as the bike had been ridden with the spindle nut too loose for a while, and it was a real mission replacing the spindle and blocs, I posted some pics on the forum on my experince doing the job.

A quick test to see where the play is coming from would be to remove the spindle nut and yank the wheel side to side, you might see the spindle moving in the frame holes, in which case you will know the source of the problem.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
« Reply #3 on: 08.09. 2012 08:33 »
I gave the spindle nut some spannering. It helped wonders! Thanks chaps!

Otto in Denmark
Otto in Denmark