Author Topic: a10 motor...lookin for a bunch of help  (Read 2318 times)

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
Re: a10 motor...lookin for a bunch of help
« Reply #15 on: 16.08. 2012 10:59 »
thanks heaps for the advice...
  yeah if i can get a reasonable used cam..a new one ...or reground...?? and cranks gotta be done...be nice to find somebody with enough enthusiasm to do both..
the damage to primary...really not much damage that a tig wont fix... just keep a couple of old cast ally lawnmower bases out the back...they have almost every shape i have needed...

cylinders...i have big and small fin head..so will either fit the plunger cases??

question of the day... oil pumps... will an a65 oil pump work on the semi unit cases..  i see a few a65 pumps on ebay...
yeah the sludge traps...all the ones i have ever done needed a big drill to get thru the black stuff...

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #16 on: 16.08. 2012 13:44 »
 I have big fin barrels and head on my '51 A7 plunger.
The price of dead Victa's just went up. Good for fin repairs too. My 1st bike had a 125 Victa motor in a home made frame with wheelbarrow wheels and DISC brake (push bike brakes clamped on rear sprocket. Oil chain = no brakes  *eek*)
I think the A65 pumps spin the other way.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

seel450

« Reply #17 on: 28.08. 2012 07:03 »
Hi from New Zealand,im starting with a 19543 A10 rolling chassis,no motor or gearbox.Im a little rusty on A10s now,its been 40 years since i restored my 1951 plunger model,sadly i sold it.I have been offered a wheelbarrow full of engine bits,and need to verify a few things please! I recall the oil hole in the codrods had to face a certain way for lubrication?Did these earlier models have the small journal crankshaft.Are the barrells and heads the same on the A10s,plunger and swingarm?regards Graeme

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #18 on: 28.08. 2012 08:09 »
 G'day Graeme, welcome to the forum.
                                                    Best starting your own topic, but since your here.
The oil hole is in the left (drive side) facing inwards (flywheel). Small journal up to about '58 I think but will fit in with the right rods. Small fin to '54 but again big fin will fit on earlier.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

seel450

« Reply #19 on: 29.08. 2012 20:18 »
Thanks muskrat,ive sourced all of the engine bar the engine cases,i have them from another source,the cylinders +0.40,the guy says they can be bored to +0.70 is that correct?,im getting 0.50 low compr pistons(new set with gudgeons and rings )with the engine,a mag and a genny.Hopefully all the shims and bits and bobs.From memory,the later swingarm gearbox internals fit the plunger box,correct?are the mainshafts the same?i recall some with a taper and keyway,some with a spline,my momories a bit rusty after 40 years.I need lots of bits for this one,battery box,mudguard stays on the rear,mudguards,front 8 inch wheel hub, plus small bits.Great old bikes,i restored one back in the 80s and did many,many miles on her,regards Graeme in New Zealand