Author Topic: SRM sump plate for RGS  (Read 1568 times)

Offline lillygunny

• Moving Up
SRM sump plate for RGS
« on: 20.08. 2012 02:45 »
 No directions came except those available at British Cycle. I want to make sure I place the sump filter properly-which side does the lip on the filter go, torwards the crank or torwards the sump plate?

Thanks,

Ron

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: SRM sump plate for RGS
« Reply #1 on: 20.08. 2012 10:00 »
Hi Ron
not sure it makes a difference but mine is on with the better finished side uppermost (facing the crank), purely for cosmetics.
more important is you get the filter on the right studs as the hole for the pickup is offset, but you probably spotted that, best offer up the filter by itself to see where it wants to be.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 20.08. 2012 10:56 »
 I think it only goes 1 way, the lip will fit into the plate but not in the cases (or vise versa). And put the plate on with the plug furthest away from the pickup tube. As discussed here the magnet could hold the suction ball valve closed.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 20.08. 2012 12:15 »
Think you got me on this Musky which is a good thing - means I aint been in there for a while wink2
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« Reply #4 on: 20.08. 2012 14:32 »
It was my experience that if you do not make sure the hole in the screen goes over the scavange pipe, the ring on the hole will partially block the pipe and make the oil pump pull oil mostly from above the screen instead of from below it. !!!!!!!!
This can allow any bits of gasket material, etc that fall onto the screen to eventually block the scavenge pipe. This happened to me. At the very least it can lessen the flow of oil into the pipe and spew oil out of the crankcase breather.
Gary
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Offline lillygunny

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 21.08. 2012 01:57 »
Thanks. The lip does want to seat in a recess on the plate. This results in the dome of the convex screen facing the plate. The current screen in the engine is flat; the SRM screen is curved for some reason. Wish they had included instructions and a diagram for anal people like me. The plate is beautiful to look at though.

Thanks,
Ron

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.08. 2012 10:28 »
the dome of the convex screen

AHA - they've changed this since I bought mine ( many years ago ), mine is flat.
Wonder why, to give more filter area I suppose
All the best - Bill

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #7 on: 21.08. 2012 13:32 »
If you can, pull the gauze off and rotate it 90 deg.
Then you can fit the sump plate with the drain bolt pointing to the left.
This will make it easier to remove , also allow you to drain it on the side stand and most important, should it ever come loose or fall out the oil will gush over the left pipe alerting you to the problem before it coats the rear tyre with oil which make for an interesting ride.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 21.08. 2012 14:02 »
Maybe its curves to give a little tolerance to enable it to fit the  return pipe which is often not quite in the correct place to fit the hole in the screen?