Author Topic: Chromed Super Rocket Frame  (Read 701 times)

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
Chromed Super Rocket Frame
« on: 21.08. 2012 01:39 »
I am a newbie to the Forum.  Started looking for an A10 and found a Golden Flash in a Brit shop that looked o be in good repair.  Found a Road Rocket missing both wheels, exhaust pipes/silencers, headlight parts (bucket is intact) but it has a spare motor and a few dynamos and generators.  Then I found a Super Rocket that looks pretty good however the frame, swing arm, and chain guard are all chromed.

Question is do you guys think all that chrome reduces the value? 

Thanks!!!

Offline orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Chromed Super Rocket Frame
« Reply #1 on: 21.08. 2012 09:18 »
Well it will certainly cause your fingers to ache, with the need for frequent cleaning!

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 21.08. 2012 09:39 »
Eventually the chrome on the frame will show signs of corrosion, it is then difficult to paint and difficult to remove the chrome, not something I would contemplate without a lot of thought. 

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 21.08. 2012 10:49 »
Hiya houseboat,
                       The R/Rocket with no wheels might be hard to bump start, and the Chrome is in my opinion personal choice, value to the doer of/seller/buyer, but depends if you like it, and want to use it or resell it??
   Just a thought, The flash sounds flash though!
 cheers duTch
 Nb what part of the globe are you??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 21.08. 2012 13:31 »
You could leave the chrome on and call it a silver flash
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 21.08. 2012 17:42 »
Found a local plating shop that would remove the chrome from all the parts that should be painted.  Quoted $400 which seems reasonable.  All those shiny parts just don't belong on that bike and to me knock some value off the asking price. 

Ist choice is the SR because of all the factory motor upgrades.  The RR would take me a couple of years to acquire the correct missing parts which would keep me off the road making my significant other relax a bit due to being a bit gun shy after my pretty nasty dirt bike accident last summer.

Live in upstate New York.

Thanks for the feedback.

My other hobby:  www.watts-up-elec-traks.com