Author Topic: Curing rocker box leaks.  (Read 1346 times)

Offline K1100

• A's Good Friend
  • 1954 A10
Curing rocker box leaks.
« on: 30.08. 2012 22:01 »
Six weeks into ownership of my 1954 A10 and I have tackled leaking rocker box, leaking petrol taps and duff front brake. I didn't think in time to take the most important pictures, of the cyl. head facing and the rocker box facing surfaces ... both were poor, and the gasket showed where the oil had been exiting in the inner side of both exhaust valves. I cleaned and levelled the rocker box faces with a very good and fine file and used cotton buds dipped in grease + good torch to remove filings. I degreased and cleaned the cylinder head facing and used loctite 5920 on one side of the gasket. I had to do that twice ... first time, despite what i thought was great care, I was surprised how much squeezed out inside the rocker box so it all had to come off for a second attempt with much less sealant. So far, 50 miles in at a steady 60mph, so good!

I had an issue with studs: I adjusted the valve clearances a few days after collecting the bike and thought I had stripped the thread on the top exhaust side cover stud so I bought one from one of the big BSA parts suppliers. It is stud A in the picture. It turned out that the thread had stripped in the rocker box and the stud was in poor condition so I had a helicoil fitted and the engineer made a new stud - B in the picture, because the unthreaded portion of the supplier's stud was actually thicker than the box cover so would have been impossible to tighten down. I spoke to the supplier about this but the reply seemed to be that "we have got lots of studs and they are all like that" which isn't too good.

Petrol taps have been replaced with ethanol-proof versions and the garage smells sweet again. The front brake is much improved after dismantling, cleaning and a bit of work with fine abrasive. Although there is a lot of liner still on the shoe, the angle of the operating arm tells me they need relining. Thanks to everyone whose postings turned up on searches with advice on these matters.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Curing rocker box leaks.
« Reply #1 on: 30.08. 2012 23:22 »
Hi, K1100
Welcome to the world of BSA A7/10 ownership *smile*
on the front brake lever subject, its posssible to gain some more angle by reversing the lever on the cam
the splines are not square to the lever arm (so to speak)

You will also ge used to some suppliers saying ""we always sell ones like that and they fit ""
Utter Bullsh*t  *problem* *problem* *problem*
Keep on good terms with your engineeer or go and learn metal working for yourself

Regards
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 31.08. 2012 09:16 »
I had a similar problem with Rocker box studs, mine had the coarse and fine thread ends reversed ( the threads are different lengths )
I phoned the supplier to let them know and got the same response "we've sold lots of them"

Clue - they frolic on the ocean shore of a land called Honnalee  *whistle*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 31.08. 2012 11:03 »
There are lots of companies supplying replacement parts and that's good because it keeps our bikes on the road. The problem is the quality of many of them is rather poor so it's best to stick with places that you know or recommendations.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #4 on: 31.08. 2012 11:30 »
Me thinks what they have supplied you with is a carby mounting stud.
They are almost the same except for a longer unthreaded portion.
Now days with so little turn over a lot of parts just have to be homogenised .
They there is the Wrong part in the right box problem.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline K1100

• A's Good Friend
  • 1954 A10
« Reply #5 on: 31.08. 2012 12:06 »
Good points everyone! And next we have pipes...

I'll get past this stage eventually but at the moment I'm going out to the garage  very morning with a torch to see (a) if my rocker box seals is holding and (b) what else is leaking. This morning there is an oil drip on the bottom of each armoured oil pipe. I find that the unions all need tightening, at both ends. I was about to start puzzling over spanner access ... it looks as though one pipe would have to be removed to tighten the other, after pulling out the oil tank ... but that has answered itself because I find that the braided armour on both pipes is worn through where the pipes rub on the swinging arm crossmember, and the rubber is considerably worn also. New pipes ordered from SRM.

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 31.08. 2012 17:15 »
Studying Your picture of the braided oil pipe ..do You know Mine doesnt touch any frame member ?
Cant You tighten the unions inclining the pipes away from frame slightly ?

Steve ..
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline K1100

• A's Good Friend
  • 1954 A10
« Reply #7 on: 31.08. 2012 17:43 »
Hi Steve ....  I wasn't going to apply myself to the issue until the new pipes arrived, but I had wondered how others manage. Thanks for that information ... I know now what to aim for!

John

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 31.08. 2012 21:55 »
Hi K1100,
I wrapped the armoured pipes where they are near the frame etc. with spiralwrap,its used for keeping cables in a loom (tidy) in industrial panel wiriing
I have made longer pipes as the inline filter is in the toolbox

Cheers
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #9 on: 01.09. 2012 10:52 »
I spend a few bob more and buy stainless braided teflon tube from one of the hydraulics mobs ( same price at Endz, Pertek ).
I also take the ols tubes with me so that they can measure properly and use my old flare nuts so that I don't end up with metric heads.
And for another couple of bob I get a slip joint on one end so that they ca be done up easier.
Bike Beesa
Trevor