Author Topic: Thrust Washer Debris  (Read 1020 times)

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
Thrust Washer Debris
« on: 07.09. 2012 15:55 »
Hi All, I was just about to take advantage of the weather and go for a spin. Thought I would drain the sump as mine wet sumps abit when it has been standing. Pulled the drain plug and attached to the magnet was a bit of what must be the very thin thrust washer!!!!.
What do you reckon if I say I am going to leave it until the winter before I strip it apart but still use the bike. Would I be about to do some serious damage.
As always your advice appreciated.
Regards Chris.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Thrust Washer Debris
« Reply #1 on: 07.09. 2012 16:07 »
Hi Chris , There was a post similar to this recently and the answer is possibly the same, which is that the first thing that comes to mind is the crankshaft end float shim. Unfortunately it's a complete strip down.
All the best Goldy
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 07.09. 2012 20:53 »
 G'day huddie,
                   I'd fix it first. Imagine a big chunk of shim being flung into the cam trough and being wedged between cam and follower lifting the valve further and kissing the piston, bending the valve then dropping it onto the piston bending the con rod and sending it through the block, spilling oil over your back wheel and you go sliding off in the next corner.
 Whats the saying " from little things big things grow ".
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 07.09. 2012 23:00 »

Guess that's buggered up your dad huddie, I thought this may have been an outcome on the other similar issue, (who was that??),

Makes me think that the Wet-sump issue is not so bad after all, makes for looking in places we would usually pretend don't exist- a bit of an engine saver??
Maybe BSA designed it in as a safety factor and should have a part #..?
 Good luck with it  !
 Cheers
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #4 on: 08.09. 2012 10:24 »
Hi All, looks like summer is over for me then. So I will start to strip it as soon as I can, Just a thought though, What might cause this thrust washer to break up?. I wouldn't want to just replace it without finding the underlying cause.
Regards huddie.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 08.09. 2012 10:37 »

Nah- If it's simple you can still get a test run or two in....??
 Maybe the Drive side roller is slipping on the shaft = + loctite??

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 08.09. 2012 20:36 »
 G'day huddie,
                   sorry for spoiling your Autumn. Job should only take a day or three.
 Nine out of ten times it's due to the bearing spinning on the shaft. Most of the time caused by re-building with not enough or tight on the end float or ham fisted butchers removing the inner from the shaft.
 Throw a new bearing in and double check the end float to get the right shim size (one thick shim is better than two thin ones). Use loctite on both inner and outer bearing halves. Warm the case and freeze the outer to drop in easy. Warm the inner and cool the crank for that one.
 Do a search for "drive side bearing" a few good post with some ideas.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #7 on: 10.09. 2012 13:46 »
Hi muskrat, I will do that search, and that, hopefully, will make sure I get it right this time. Thanks for the tips
Regards Huddie