Author Topic: another Q please - sump oil plug ?  (Read 728 times)

Offline mick43

• Moving Up
another Q please - sump oil plug ?
« on: 10.09. 2012 10:30 »
I'm changing oil on my super rocket... I've drained the dry sump, but wondering if there is any other drain point on engine so I remove as much as the old oil as possible ?

Thanks...
1958 Super Rocket
North East Essex - Uk

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: another Q please - sump oil plug ?
« Reply #1 on: 10.09. 2012 13:55 »
The plug on the sump plate is the low point in the engine. Ater removing that you could only get out more oil by removing the sump plate and timing covers and hand wiping all the surfaces. However, that would be completely unneccesary unless you had a major entry of dirt, grit or loose sludge into the oil and you were determined to assure that all surfaces and oilways were clear of such dirt, grit or sludge. In that case, a complete tear down would  be called for because you would need to clear the crankshaft and other internal oilways as well.
'
Richard L.

Offline mick43

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 10.09. 2012 17:36 »
ok - many thanks....  (no not necessary - oil was in good shape - just done 450 miles after running in).
1958 Super Rocket
North East Essex - Uk

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 10.09. 2012 19:08 »
If you have recently taken ownership, you might want to pull off the sump plate to see if any bits of stuff are laying on the screen. Have new gaskets and sealer handy and be careful about overtightening the bolts or studs. You never know when you've turned your last secure screw into aluminum.

Richard L.

Offline spiralz

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 11.09. 2012 21:17 »
yup mine (new bike) was supposedly on it's 500 running in oil change and i decided to drop the sump plate and guaze filter off only to find a world of horrors, so would be a good idea to check...  ;)

the oil that came out looked fine as well...

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,6005.0.html