Author Topic: Optimum Cable routing query ?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
Optimum Cable routing query ?
« on: 10.09. 2012 16:47 »
Apologies if this sounds an inane question & basic question !

Hoping to be advised ?

Sanitised publicity pictures of the time usually have cables "tidied up".
Is there a schematic indicating the optimum route for the control cables available ?
Think front brake & clutch cables may run down the swaging surrounding the headstock ?
Stand to be corrected of course !

Not happy with the speedo cable course as it seems to hang out in the wind & scuffs the frame downtube ..unless Ive go it wrong ?

Hope to hear opinions please ?

Steve ...
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Optimum Cable routing query ?
« Reply #1 on: 10.09. 2012 17:36 »
Brilliant question Steve, pretty sure I'm not the only one looking forward to a knowledgeably reply or two
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 10.09. 2012 17:41 »
Hope so Bill , the bike is really coming along well at the moment .

Steve..

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 11.09. 2012 19:09 »
Surprised No One else has struggled routing cables ?

Offline nagrod

• Moving Up
  • 1960 BSA Super Rocket
« Reply #4 on: 12.09. 2012 14:06 »
The struggle is ongoing! On my '60 A10 Super Rocket I have routed the speedometer and Tachometer cables straight down inside the headlamp mount ears, down between the forks, forward of and under the bottom fork yoke and then to their attachments. I use velcro straps to hold the speedometer to the right hand downtube and then a velcro strap to hold the tach cable to the speedo cable about midway down. This is after numerous other tries resulting in chewing up the cable housings by the fork stops and a too loose speedo cable chafing against the chrome front fender. The only problem so far is if the handles bars are against the left stop the tach cable is tight with no slack. My throttle cable is free (don't use the handlebar mounted cable guide) and feeds over to the main frame tube under the gas tank. The manual retard cable also goes down the center under the tank and is fine except where it impacts the drip tray on the carb. The clutch cable.........still a struggle. I have had it routed down the center under the tank but my arthritic knuckles rebelled at that. Right now it is flopping around as freely as I can get it but I can't leave it that way. I need a new one and I'm debating a try at making my own (have to work myself up to navigating through Flanders site). The front brake is pretty straightforward as is the rear. I love this bike, it's on the road and registered but it's a little like Christmas morning wondering which box of problems to tackle first!

Rick D
'Never again. But that's what I said the last time.'

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 12.09. 2012 15:33 »
Good to see yours happening Rick, and I guess you have the centre stand dynamics worked out *smile*

It's a bugger having the front brake action on the right hand side of the wheel,*smile*, makes for a tight bend in the cable at the top, but there's a lot to be said for tank mount speedo's-(at least in this regard),clutch cable could be customised to a happy length ?

Cheers

Ps I don't do christmas for that reason- too many problems...bah humbug (getting in early), but every other day, oh yeah bring it on
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline nagrod

• Moving Up
  • 1960 BSA Super Rocket
« Reply #6 on: 12.09. 2012 16:11 »
Hi Dutch - yeah, the center stand is 4 times out of 5 usually now but the side stand is always there for that one time! Things have to come together just so or they threaten to get out of hand!

The clutch cable is hard to find, I have western bars which apparently require greater length, so I've been cruising the forum archives and Flanders site. How hard could it be, she said.

Rick D
'Never again. But that's what I said the last time.'