Author Topic: I've always wondered...  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Frenchy

• A's Best Friend
  • 1957 A7
I've always wondered...
« on: 13.09. 2012 15:31 »
Why is this site called audio*.net?  (adm edit: former hosting for the forum)

I'm a radio/recording engineer by trade.  Obviously, somebody else loves sound and bikes. 

Also, who owns this site? 
1957 A7 bobber, swing arm
Columbus, Ohio, US

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: I've always wondered...
« Reply #1 on: 13.09. 2012 17:17 »
Hello Frenchy, well, somehow the forum came to life here, started as a test to see if it worked at all (and a place to direct people who were sending me emails with questions related to the A10 website), and was never meant to be such an active forum! I have registered a7a10.net with a plan to one day move the forum there.

About audio*.net I was working as a distributor for recording equipment, after having owned a recording studio and worked as an engineer for 20 years or so, also did lots of electronic maintenance work. Was specializing in tube equipment, and loved the glow and sound of old tubes (and the looks and sound of vintage motorcycles).

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Frenchy

• A's Best Friend
  • 1957 A7
« Reply #2 on: 13.09. 2012 19:02 »
Dig it.  I can see the relationship--that's where the other half of my paycheck goes.  My vocal chain is a DW Fearn preamp into a Pultec EQP1 into a Daking FETIII tube comp.  Unfortunately, the only tube mic I have isn't that great on vocals--Neumann M147.  Still saving some dollars for an upgrade on the mic... 
1957 A7 bobber, swing arm
Columbus, Ohio, US

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 14.09. 2012 06:53 »
Inherited my mother's McIntosh gear several years ago. This was the same gear on which I first listened to the Beatles. Proceeded to restore (it didn't need much) the 225 amp. Bought a tube tester on eBay and thought, "hey, tube testers are cool" and proceeded to buy five more. I plan(ned) to restore the mx110 preamp but got slowed down by the need to teach myself silk screening to  redo the front panel. Then, oops, along comes my A10 project, so,nine years and waiting for the preamp.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 14.09. 2012 12:08 »
"hey, tube testers are cool"
*smile* ended up with a bunch of them here as well.

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 14.09. 2012 13:30 »
I didn't know we had closet vintage electronics enthusiasts in our midst! I am a beginner in that hobby but have re-capped a mid '50s HMV radio and dabbled with a few reel to reel tape recorders. I started doing a '30s HMV radiogram but the cabinet is still in the shed in Scotland. It is the sort with a mains energised speaker. The speaker is so heavy it has an extra bracket to support it from the base of the cabinet.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 14.09. 2012 16:36 »
now your taking me back a bit guys, although very much the poor relation I do have a BSR tape recorder in the bottom shed, I can mention it here as it's got the Birmingham connection ( Birmingham Sound Reproduction IIRC ).
I take it by "tube" you refer to glass valves, a few years ago as a retirement present to myself, I bought a guitar and amp, took advice from the guy in the shop and came away with a Strat (type) guitar and an amp which he claimed was a good one because it had a "tube", and advice to start with no more than fifteen minutes a day (till fingers harden).

Well I'm yet to find time in this so called retirement due to bikes , kitchens, garden, U3A and so forth but one of these days I'll get to it - neighbours beware
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 14.09. 2012 19:16 »
If you don't already play, a strat is not the ideal instrument for learning on, as it has a narrow neck. You would be better starting with a normal steel string acoustic. The wider neck makes you less likely to touch (and thus deaden the sound) of the strings either side of the one you want to hold down.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 15.09. 2012 00:33 »

'Deadening the sound' mightn't be a bad idea?? *smile*

I'm not a muso Bill but own 3 guitars (that I can't play) and other items, but go for it, and good luck
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 15.09. 2012 10:22 »
cheers Fido
Dutch the thinking was a strat would play most stuff to some degree ( I like blues ) but would get me started, if later I managed to play well enough he'd take it back in exchange for a model more specific to my wants - seemed fair enough to me, the guy does a lot to encourage bands around Berwick upon Tweed including Blind Justice (now disbanded)  a band from Lowick (four miles up the road from me) included my nephew as Bass player, can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMM-2hDqh08
They had some talent and wrote some nice slow stuff but prefered fast and furious
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline gavinoz

• A's Best Friend
  • Dogs & Sheep hate smokers worse than Hondas.
« Reply #10 on: 15.09. 2012 11:30 »
BSA bill, I really got the Mekon, and as a kid  waited each week for Dan Dare (also Heros the Spartan). However my kids (who call the A7/10 Forum "dads bike nrop site") caught me watching your nephews Utube Blind Justice clip and said that I should seek help as I was sick. They want to put a "childrens control" on my computer. Thanks mate!!
Rigid A7S, 57 A10 in pieces
Australia

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 15.09. 2012 15:47 »
I don't remember Dan Dare but I just did a Google search for him. I found a picture of him, wearing a space helmet and talking into a microphone held in his hand!
http://www.dandare.org.uk/MekonGallery.htm

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 15.09. 2012 18:59 »
Great comic in it's day (if it came back I'd probably buy it- ha), centre page always had a cutaway picture of something of interest, on one occasion the inside of our then new nuclear submarine
All the best - Bill

Offline The pirate

• A's Best Friend
  • My Super Rocket
« Reply #13 on: 15.09. 2012 20:32 »
Hi guys,

Old motorbikes and old guitars must go together. I play 'rockabilly' with a Hofner Verithin through an all valve SELMER Treble and Bass 50. I love my music and love my bike. A perfect day for me is going for a ride, coming home and drinking a couple of coldies, playing guitar, watching the sun go down with a few good mates. What could be better. Us old Rockers never die we just smell that way.
The Pirate

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #14 on: 16.09. 2012 22:15 »
Hey pirate, SELMER Treble and Bass 50  *smile* my first amp, with it's 2 x EL34, Mullard's! Never thought I'd ever see this amp mentioned on the forum. Also had a Hofner (then got a Fender, thought it was better at attracting girls). A friend is collecting Hofner's, went 1\2 crazy and now has like 50 of them. Found a photo of 'my' Selmer on the net, those were the days...
Thanks for bringing back some long gone memories.