Author Topic: Changing six spring clutch to four spring - beginner help required  (Read 1131 times)

Offline JSF

• Moving Up
Hi all,

Whilst the A10 is nearly ready for the road, the clutch is horrid! It's very heavy and despite changing the lever for a differ radius, new cable and taking it to bits to lubricate pushrod, it's not getting any better.  My technical guru (read Dad) is convinced it's got stronger springs in as it's had a sidecar previously.

So, I've seen the Lyford kits, and have read that the SRM pressure plate kit is very good but I'm not sure what else I'll need if I want to replace the lot.  I'm thinking that the four spring will be the best option but would welcome any other suggestions as very new to this!

Many thanks in advance

John

38 3/4 and lots to learn...
58 Golden Flash

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Have a look at the 1960-63 parts book.
It's all there.

Trev.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi JSF,
This has been covered a fair few times here,
Do a search from the box near the top righthand side of the screen and lots of older threads will appear on the
subject
That said, there can be problems at times with primary chain alignment  *sad2*
You will also see two fairly different price ranges for the 4 spring clutch??
The cheaper ones usually have non UK made parts (being PC here)  and cheapo plates *ex*
Look for UK made chainwheel and Surflex plates
What you pay is what you get  *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex*

HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Hi John, I think ,no I'm sure you'll be well pleased with a 4 springer clutch, I'm afraid that the 6 spring version is my own idea of BSA hell ,never having any thing but grief from them . Quite a few people on the forum get them working well and I applaud there determination and patience whilst giving  ground that they are probably much better mechanics than me ,however, i've always preferred the riding than fettling and found with the 4 springer that i had at least a fighting chance of getting home after a run out. As John said buy from a reliable supplier and you won't waste your money best of luck BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline JSF

• Moving Up
Thanks all.  I've bitten the bullet and ordered a Lyford clutch kit today so hopefully I can get on the road soon!

Cheers again for the advice - will update with how I get on :)

John
58 Golden Flash