Author Topic: Oil way !  (Read 791 times)

Offline michael snellin

• A's Good Friend
Oil way !
« on: 23.09. 2012 18:41 »
HI,every one,working off the only manual that i can find, it does state that one con rod should be fitted with the extra oil way on the left and towards the engine, no problem,but i just wanted to know how can this help the journal ,

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Oil way !
« Reply #1 on: 23.09. 2012 18:55 »
I think that you will find a few opinions on this one and if you do a search on the forum for oil hole you will find them
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 26.09. 2012 13:59 »
Hi Mike, my understanding was that the left B/End ,being furthest from the pump would always get less oil and that when the main bearing wore during use the situation would become worse and finally the end would seize and rod would make a once only appearance outside the cases! The drill way at least offered a path for oil to get to the bearing and prolong the life of the engine. Probably wrong but I'm sure someone on here will confirm ,add or but me right regards and happy fettling BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 26.09. 2012 17:16 »
Various explanation are around, mine is as I read it somewhere that they had trouble with the drive side cylinder overheating so the hole provides a cooling oil spray
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco