Author Topic: Grease in timing cover for dynamo chain ?  (Read 4192 times)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: Grease in timing cover for dynamo chain ?
« Reply #15 on: 30.09. 2012 00:37 »
You chill it Bill.
Over night in the freezer will make it a bit stiffer than wheel bearing grease .
However the Castrol is thick enough to stay in place while you are putting the cover on.
If you use liquid grease you do nor need to fill the entire chamber as it will go soft as the engine heats up and end up i a pool at the bottom being thrown around by the chain then draining back into the pool.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 30.09. 2012 10:45 »
You chill it Bill.

Good one BSA_54A10  I hadn't thought of that, comes from living in the past when fridges were not in every household, desirable but needed a lot of saving for
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #17 on: 30.09. 2012 16:23 »
Every shed has a beer fridge, don't it? *beer*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 30.09. 2012 16:40 »
Every shed has a beer fridge, don't it?

Nope not up here in NE UK - no need - to cold as it is, OTOH you'd know where it is in a fridge,l I discovered two bottles of "Old Peculier" that I'd stashed out of site some decades ago (decided not to risk them as most Super Markets still sell it)

by the by were putting a little freezer in the shed, I recall my son having some Newcastle brown that you put in the freezer until the special label changed colour, it was then apparently  at the optimum temp for consumption*beer*
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 01.10. 2012 14:09 »
I thought you Brits were only drinking warm beer?
Mainly because Lucas made your fridges?
 *lol*

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  *whistle*  *beer*
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #20 on: 02.10. 2012 17:03 »
Markus,

I was going to say that we brits who like proper brewed "Real Ales" like them served lightly chilled never warm. On the other hand Lagers and other gnats pi$$ chemical concoctions are served ice cold coz thats the only way to get any flavour out of them.

But I won't

*smile*
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 02.10. 2012 17:31 »
I wouldn't dream of saying that either Andy - even if it is true
All the best - Bill

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #22 on: 03.10. 2012 12:12 »
We'll let you off Markus , personally could never understand having beer so cold that you can't taste it ,I'm sure some young drinkers would drink carbonated wood alcohol if it were marketed as "super cold " there loss give me a pint of "spitfire" any time,regards Bob 
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 03.10. 2012 14:16 »

Not getting sidetracked with 'grogology', I've been wondering if that old school chain lube that's in a tin and you wash the chain and then put it on the lube and heat it on the stove (yep-STOVE, beside the toast), or other heaty thing so the lube soaks through, then let it cool...?and whatever goop comes out with it will be sufficient?
 I've not used it, but think it's maybe a graphite base? Maybe no longer available?? ,but would be a good dynamo-hum lube?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 03.10. 2012 14:32 »
Putoline (German I think ) make a chain wax much the same as Link-Life, I have a tin that I bought many moons ago for £7.00 UK, can't say what it's like as I haven't replaced a chain yet, it's my intention to have new chains on and treat the old one with the wax ready to swap around.
All the best - Bill

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #25 on: 04.10. 2012 07:28 »
Andy, Bill, Bob, you caught me  *smile*. I can't argue about the quality of good, well-temperated Ale, I might have enjoyed one or the other glass during visits to your country already...  *grins*
But I have yet too find something you can legitimately call "coffee" or something that comes close to our dark leaven bread. But that's another story, when in Rome...

Back on the topic: I'm not sure whether anything that will be good for a rear chain will suffice for the dynamo, at revs up to say 3000 or even 3500rpm on the intermediate gear, low melting point grease sounds like the best idea to me. It is also a matter of transporting heat away to the cases, just like on the primary chain, which the then liquified grease should be capable of.
Btw., even at good lubrication, I have noticed an alarming rate of wear on what used to be high-quality Renolds chains. Could it be that they aren't what they used to be?

Best, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #26 on: 04.10. 2012 08:45 »
Interesting points Markus on Renolds chain and warm beer.
I persist in using Renolds for rears. But I do think you're right, they don't seem to last the way I remember.
It is not impossible that some of this might be to do with pattern sprockets not lasting well enough of course. And it's too tempting not to change that g'box sprocket too often!
Btw, what mileage do folk here (who use their bikes a lot in all weather) find they can get out of a (reasonably) well-maintained and aligned rear chain?
For primaries, I have several hundred links of Elite in a tin, which seems to do OK, and is easily available.
For dynamos (back on topic) I use a toothed belt so don't know .  . .
For warm (or even chilled) beer I substituted red grape juice for Greene King IPA a long time ago now - with only beneficial effects!
Cheers, Bill
Bill

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
« Reply #27 on: 04.10. 2012 09:07 »
"Greene King" ...gets My vote !!
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #28 on: 04.10. 2012 10:14 »
 I'm considering going back to chain after my 3rd belt went to the dentist. I remember getting about 5 years out of the chains and using low melt grease changed about once a year. Doing about 10K miles a year on the '51 back then, lucky to do 3K these days.
 You lot may have invented beer but a German immigrant perfected it down here. Reschs Pilsener served at 3 degrees C
 *beer*
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 04.10. 2012 13:54 »

Arrrgh, Dry Resches......I was working 'bout a hundred miles north of Blackwater in '78 when the Great Beer strike was on, nothin' but canned beer from all over the country for four months, went to town for some gear, and stopped for a coldie(as we DID), and there was Resches ON TAP- beautie, I'll have one of those...in a glass!! *eek*....choke -gag- spit.....a few months later was in Sydney town, 'Angle' pub at Manly had D.Resches was tolerable with a dash of lemmingaid.
 Sorry,but that's my resches story, glad you like it Muskie- you can have it *conf*

Oh yeah, dynamo chain- my theory on the chain-lube was that you soak it in, and also slop a bit(just enough for the chain to run in) in bottom of the case to keep it happy, engine temp should keep it fluid?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia