Author Topic: Plunger Header/port query  (Read 505 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Plunger Header/port query
« on: 04.10. 2012 22:35 »
  I've had a conflict with the R.brake pedal and engine pipe, and it occurred to me that maybe a stock Plunger header pipe will sit further 'out' with an alloy head(if you know what I mean-see attached artwork), it's a reasonably (~in)accurate 'tracing' of the alloy head and large-fin barrel interface and port detail.

Reasoning is that if the engine pipe sits further out with alloy head, that will put the whole pipe further west (away from frame) down the bottom and interfere with brake pedal- comprende?

Question is, does anyone know the comparison of relationship of the portal intrusion of the engine pipe between Iron head and alloy heads, maybe a measurement from centre head bolt(in front of pushrod tunnel), to outside of exhaust port, and portal intrusion of pipe measurement?
 I'd always assumed the included angle of the pipes to be 90˚, but seems to be ~80˚by my drawing.
 Hope that makes a bit of sense to someone, just means if fitting stock plunger pipes to alloy head, may need to trim a bit off portal(top) end.

thanks in advance, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Plunger Header/port query
« Reply #1 on: 05.10. 2012 03:18 »
Dutch,
                I think that they are the same dimensions, iron or alloy.

Trev.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.10. 2012 08:53 »

Thanks Trev,
               I cut 20mm off the top end of the header anyway, and did a chicane on the pedal and it seems reasonably ok, but not wonderful.
 Having read with interest all the sagas regarding headers, I'm now understanding why, there's different bends between my old -possibly factory- pipes and the new 'seconds', I think I now know why they were offered to me.
 Am thinking there's a bit of reprieve in using siamese pipes, but they have sagas of their own.
 On the upside I think I've figured out the configuration that'll work best, if I can now track down someone close by with a mandrill bender.
 Cheers
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 05.10. 2012 08:58 »
 Yep mine has always rubbed. Still do, might fix that one day.
Ditto Trevor, same.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7