Author Topic: Camshaft tappet !!!!! And chain case  (Read 1399 times)

Offline michael snellin

• A's Good Friend
Camshaft tappet !!!!! And chain case
« on: 10.10. 2012 18:38 »
Hello, every one, does any one know and (i am sure there is) on the a10 barrell, there is a grub screw with a 3/16 ball and a locating pin, two screws at the end, havent got a clue as to what they do, and can they be fitted when barrell is fitted also is there a spacer req on the clutch case at the rear  end, its just want to do this bike correctly.

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
Re: Camshaft tappet !!!!! And chain case
« Reply #1 on: 10.10. 2012 18:50 »
Hi Michael!
The parts you mentioned prevent the cam followers from falling out of the cylinder barrels if the latter are lifted off the crankcases. The longer grub screw is the only one that is accessible with the barrels fitted. The ball is located under that screw, at the rear of the barrels, right in the middle between the cylinders. The locating pin and two shorter grub screws are inserted in the tappet block before the cylinders are fitted on the cases.
Ref the spacer for the inner primary case half: You have to tighten the bolts securing the primary case to the engine case first, then add a washer/washers or spacer accordingly, in order to get good alignment and not warp the inner case when tightening to the frame.
Cheers, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline michael snellin

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 11.10. 2012 14:10 »
Thanks to M.G. for your help on the above script,as i have purchased this bike as a basket case,urgh !! at the moment, i have no tappets/cam followers or push rods, had the barrell, bored out to 60 thou can i go ahead and fit the barrell without having the tappets/cam followers as the locating pin on the barrell  has two flats and i am not to sure what way round this should go.any help is very much appreciated.

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 11.10. 2012 20:25 »
Nope, the cam followers have to be fitted first, then held in place by the two grub screws and the locating pin, which in turn is held in place by the ball and longer grub screw. The locating pin is fitted with the flats facing sideways (ie the flats aligned vertically), the groove facing backwards. The exhaust followers have two additional flats machined on the rounded off side, that's where the locating pin fits in. The tiny ball engages with the groove in the locating pin. All has to go in BEFORE the barrels are fitted!!!
Hard to explain, but you'll see immediately how it all goes together when you got a set of followers at hand!
Best, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline michael snellin

• A's Good Friend
Tappets etc !!!
« Reply #4 on: 12.10. 2012 09:49 »
Marcus, well done you have now answerd all my questions re, the above items,.
                                         thank you.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
Re: Tappets etc !!!
« Reply #5 on: 13.10. 2012 13:15 »
Hi Mike
Is that the red A10 I saw in your workshop last year. Mine is running great. Hope to see you for a cuppa soon.

Colin

Offline michael snellin

• A's Good Friend
Colin Hi,
« Reply #6 on: 15.10. 2012 18:00 »
Hello.Colin, yeah !!  thats the one spk soon,