Author Topic: A10 Clutch cover nuts and bolts  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Pecon

• A's Good Friend
A10 Clutch cover nuts and bolts
« on: 11.10. 2012 22:21 »

Can anybody tell me where I can find a replacement set of nuts and bolts for the clutch cover on an A10?  I think that there are about 12 in the set. I found that several were stripped when checking the clutch. I have checked SRM's site but they don't list them.

Is it possible to replace them without dismanteling the clutch basket if I do manage to locate a set.

Thanks

Peter

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A10 Clutch cover nuts and bolts
« Reply #1 on: 11.10. 2012 22:38 »

I got some nuts the other week from Draganfly,
http://www.draganfly.co.uk/shop/pd1879217877.htm?defaultVariants={EOL}&categoryId=146

Dunno 'bout the studs though, and they're brazed/silver solder in place, so may need to remove basket, which isn't hard

Cheers, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Ted_Flash

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 12.10. 2012 07:21 »
I've been running plunger A10s for 22 years and never had a clutch cover which had a full set of nuts in place.  Never had a problem with it coming loose.
Ted Wilkinson, Ramsbottom, Lancashire
1950 Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 12.10. 2012 08:40 »

That reminds me, for the reasonably low amount of use I have done on ,mine -way back when- I never had the cover on, even though I have two but never any nuts. Also I intended to ask as the later models don't run a cover, what use is it anyway, and am tossing up whether to bother with it??
  The only thing I can think of is to prohibit any clutch swarf contaminating the oil bath, just means to change it regular  ??
 Cheers
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Pecon

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 12.10. 2012 10:37 »
Thanks for the replies guys, the reason I considered replacing them was because some ham fisted previous owner had stripped about half of them. I had wondered if the cover was necessary as a Norton and Triumph I have had always seemed to work fine with the oil being thrown around the casing. I figured that the A10 was prone to clutch slip without the cover but Dutch's experience seems to contradict that. I have sealed it so I should be OK for now. I'll check out Dragonfly's site.

Thanks again

Peter   

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 11.11. 2012 11:32 »
youse are talkin about the tin dome over a plunger clutch??
 is this thing really needed???the clutch internals are no different to any other bike i have ever had...
or does the primary overfill itself??

harley had that idea worked out on my old 57 panhead...had a 1/4 inch hole just above the chain near the back..kept the primary oil at the exact right level...