Author Topic: Dampness & condensation in garage problem ?  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Stephen Foster

• Valued Contributor
Dampness & condensation in garage problem ?
« on: 16.10. 2012 12:20 »
The problem I have is dampness / condensation in My garage .
Double garage with up & over door.

Does Any forum Member have experience in correcting this please /

Asbestos corrugated roof . concrete construction & floor .

Best Wishes ,

Steve ..
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
Re: Dampness & condensation in garage problem ?
« Reply #1 on: 16.10. 2012 12:59 »
hi there fella, my wooden garage is badly leaking and damp but im planing on spraying my bike with used engine oil for the winter months inorder to give it a bit of protection. works really well on the underside of cars. i'll have to make sure that the oil wont react to any rubber on the bike before i do though. all the best fella, chicago
Preferred location: somewhere warm and dry.
Bike: 1953 plunger Longstroke engine.

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.10. 2012 13:08 »
Mine is also concrete base, pre cast concrete walls and asbestos roof. Wooden up and over door. I don't use it for the car and try not to park bikes in there when they are wet. I have a heater on most weekends when I'm out there in Winter. On the bikes I always keep the bright work wiped over with WD40.

The garage can be damp but mostly keeps the wet out, though you do get a rather splendid effect when it snows as that can flurry in through the ends of the corrugations on the roof.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 16.10. 2012 14:03 »
when it snows as that can flurry in through the ends of the corrugations on the roof.
you can get filler that is shaped to fit, might take a bit of digging around to find but it does exist

Aldi often sell large de-humidifiers ( the plastic box type with a bag type refill ), they also often sell the refills at a good price.
I have a few of these in various sheds and it's amazing the amount of moisture they collect.

If any knowledgeable members would like to tell me what the resultant liquid is that they produce I would love to know, I've been pouring it on weeds but it doesn't seem do them any harm

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 16.10. 2012 14:19 »
Water. Considered not potable.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 16.10. 2012 20:31 »
hi guys, ventilation is the answer, if you have a roof space that you could install a D.V.S. your problems would be solved,
  D.V.S.:- direct ventilation system,cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 17.10. 2012 19:45 »
Hi All,
At the risk of starting a DIY building thread  *eek* , heres my 2cents worth !!!
insulation, insulation, insulation *ex* *ex* *ex*
If you can afford it get rid of the corrugated sheeting and replace it with insulated cladding
Insulated up and over doors are available, draught proof the edges
line the walls with high density building insulation, then sheet with ply

The 8mtr x 4 mtr shed I built a couple of years ago, has a steel frame, walls and roof are insulated cladding
I got secondhand double glazed doors and windows
Its extremely comfortable summer and winter, a small heater for a few minutes on a winters morning, and its goood to go for the day

My concrete built "garage" has a felted and tiled roof, I use a dehumidifier there during the winter

I would not use old oil as a protective coating, it can contain nasty combustion acids  *eek*
WD or even better ACF 50 will protect the bikes a lot better

(maybe that was more than 2 cents worth?? )

Regards
John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline chaz

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #7 on: 18.10. 2012 22:24 »
asbestos is the problem, it sweats and when it freezes outside asbestos is bad , it holds the water inside then freezes and drops down when it thaws.
you can actually get a vinyl, tar and grit covered roofing same shape as corrugated which is better. alternatively wander around industrial estates, you can pick up old pallets, some big ones , will make good roof beams.
allways willing to learn
United Kingdom

Offline Stephen Foster

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 19.10. 2012 05:51 »
Thanks for the advice .
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline andy

• Moving Up
  • and so the fun begins !!
« Reply #9 on: 19.10. 2012 06:22 »
old carpet might help ask any carpet fitters if they are throwing any out did all my garage for nowt mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cosy  *yeah*
only 2 things needed in life wd40 and duck tape....if it moves and shouldn`t use tape if it don`t move and should use wd40.

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 22.10. 2012 11:17 »
I'd guess that for any re-roofing project the big cost will be disposing of the asbestos.

And I actually like the snow flurry effect, like being in one of those little globes - just me and the bikes; all shook up.
Various, including ...

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #11 on: 05.11. 2012 10:07 »
hi , i have a concrete garage and floor, i laid down 1" x 1/2" lengths of wood ( it  matters not the size of wood) every 3-4 ft apart , drop some insulation in between poly or fibreglass, i got some cheap interlock floorboards from a timber merchant (you can even get reclaimed floorboards)  and screw them down the floor is never cold now and it helps stop condensation (i dont get any now) all done very cheaply, it only raises the floor by about 1 x 1/2 ", i  hope this helps   *smiley4*
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 05.11. 2012 11:09 »
Water. Considered not potable.

sorry for delay getting back richard

I believe ya but how so, where does the white flaky stuff go
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 05.11. 2012 11:32 »
I found that locking a hedgehog in there with an open bowl of used engine oil soon had pretty much everything coated in rust proofing. Little varmint.
Various, including ...

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 05.11. 2012 16:49 »
when it snows as that can flurry in through the ends of the corrugations on the roof.
you can get filler that is shaped to fit, might take a bit of digging around to find but it does exist

Aldi often sell large de-humidifiers ( the plastic box type with a bag type refill ), they also often sell the refills at a good price.
I have a few of these in various sheds and it's amazing the amount of moisture they collect.

If any knowledgeable members would like to tell me what the resultant liquid is that they produce I would love to know, I've been pouring it on weeds but it doesn't seem do them any harm

They are basically much like fridges and can suffer from similar problems like icing up of the water pathways. I have one and it works fine when the weather is not too cold but won't work if the shed temperature drops below about 5 deg. c.