Author Topic: Gearbox overhaul  (Read 3035 times)

Offline bassgreg

• Moving Up
Re: Gearbox overhaul
« Reply #15 on: 17.05. 2014 21:43 »
Hello people.

This kickstart talk is cheering me up no end. My A10 engine and box were re built some considerable time ago and sat in the frame waiting for me to have time and money again.
After ten years I finally got it running last October, then promptly left for six months work. Just returned to find the kickstart doing the jamming thing. Cheers for all the talk, it has given me plenty of ideas.

I will get into the box tomorrow and add any findings to the list. It is nice to know I am not alone.

Cheers.
Greg.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 17.05. 2014 22:00 »
you may cure it Greg but probably not totally eliminate it  *smiley4* which lets face it is slightly annoying
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline bassgreg

• Moving Up
« Reply #17 on: 17.05. 2014 22:16 »
It seems quite likely, but knowing that it isn't an unusual problem at least means my gearbox and or kickstart is less likely to be terminally ill. I can live with annoying.
Things are far less worrying when you realise you are not alone.

I need to fit a new kickstart spring anyway so the box is getting opened up regardless, might as well have a look while I am in there.

Cheers.
G

Offline bassgreg

• Moving Up
« Reply #18 on: 19.05. 2014 13:59 »
Ok,

Having taken on board the various observations about the kick start quadrant, teeth and suchlike the following things showed up when I dismantled my kickstart.

Firstly, the gearbox was completely re-built by a professional some years ago and has basically sat ever since. (I may yet find further horrors since I am not 100% convinced the 4th gear selection feels right, but the bike is not yet finished so that will come out in the shakedown)

The kickstart spring was shot, that is the first thing, which means the quadrant wasn't returning fully to rest. That is now solved with a new spring.
Secondly the first two teeth on the quadrant had a few small burrs on them. Nothing big, but since anything I would consider damage or poor manufacture is a potential problem I re-shaped these with a needle file.

Having re-assembled the box the engine now kicks over far more smoothly, it doesn't seem to catch or jam in the starter mechanism. Time will tell if this remains the case but for now it looks good.

It seems, as with most thing, that getting stuck in and taking care of those little, seemingly insignificant bits of metallic fluff can make a significant improvement. 

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #19 on: 19.05. 2014 14:43 »
Hi , i've seen the kind of thing re the teeth on several boxes and am not sure if years ago it was a "mod" to try to stop the annoying jam whichs happens every so often , certainly some quadrants I've seen look to be done professionally. On the bench at the moment I'm sure I've a lovely ,seems new, one and I'll check am sure its champered on those first 2 to 3 teeth. Either way you still need to use the standard procedure ,clutch in kick gently to free the kickstart off. Another case of "sorry sir but they all do that " Hope you don't find anymore horrors ,best wishes BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #20 on: 19.05. 2014 20:27 »
The first two teeth are wasted to help with engagement. I have relieved mine a tad more for a little result. The best improvement was had by replacing the pinion bush, but it still jams from time to time, just not as bad.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bassgreg

• Moving Up
« Reply #21 on: 19.05. 2014 21:04 »
If the snag resurfaces I will have a look at that.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 20.05. 2014 11:46 »

I'm wondering if this issue is more relevant to a particular year range..? I think mine might do it occasionally, but if it does I just live with it by whatever I do- will add that if it arises..>note to self..!
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bassgreg

• Moving Up
« Reply #23 on: 20.05. 2014 18:20 »
Could be. For the record my engine and box are 1957 plunger (semi unit). Last year of production as far as I know and only available as special order I believe.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #24 on: 20.05. 2014 20:56 »
"They all do that sir" My '51 plunger, '57 SS/RR and friends '50 long stroke all do it. The '57 is better but it's been fettled.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #25 on: 21.05. 2014 12:53 »
yep, tried to post yesterday but work WILL interupt ! Ive had a '53 plunger , '54 s/arm ,'59 ssa7 and currently a '59 A10 ,they all jammed but only now and then (strangely more so to non BSA mates trying to start them I remember ) my latest does it least but I automatically  clear the clutch and follow through to the end of the kick starter stroke before trying to start the bike . I've had alook at that quadrant on the bench and the first tooth has been ground down second not so much 3rd poss slighthly the rest are perfect so not wear ,be interesting to see how it performs, regards BobH. 
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 21.05. 2014 18:41 »

Maybe I've got lucky, as inferred earlier I don't notice if it jams or not- even when I went out yesterday- only have to generally kick it once each time.. *smile*

I don't normally start on the stand, am wondering if it gives the pinion a chance to spin a bees nut if the wheel moves
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 21.05. 2014 20:05 »
I don't normally start on the stand, am wondering if it gives the pinion a chance to spin a bees nut if the wheel moves

not unless you start it in gear  *smile*
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 22.05. 2014 10:43 »

not unless you start it in gear  *smile*

Maybe didn't think that through so well at 4-sommething a.m. getting ready for the day... *eek*, but I know what I meant.... *conf*

Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 22.05. 2014 11:14 »
but I know what I meant.... *conf*

yeah I knew what you meant too but couldn't resist, your not alone my mind is harmless at 4 am it just the daylight hours  it's not always in sync
All the best - Bill