Author Topic: Play in clutch inner drum  (Read 1044 times)

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
Play in clutch inner drum
« on: 31.10. 2012 15:54 »
 Hello All, Looking at overhauling my clutch as bike is in bits. Clutch parts seem to be relatively expensive, up to the £300 mark for a complete replacement.
Although my clutch was working ok except for a bit of a clunk selecting first, my main concern is what seems to me to be excessive wear between the clutch inner drum and the clutch centre. I am assuming there should be none. is that correct?
If I am right which bit is the more likely to wear (ie try replacing that first), or should they be replaced as a pair.
Regards Huddie

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Good Friend
Re: Play in clutch inner drum
« Reply #1 on: 01.11. 2012 10:28 »

I know that play was acceptable on Triumph clutches but not sure about BSA. Someone will soon come up & tell us. Have you got a Triumph clutch fitted?
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 01.11. 2012 10:41 »
The usual problem is the clutch bearing, the small double row ball bearing. It's a straight replacement although if you search the forum you will find that some people are using a one piece cage bearing as a replacement.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #3 on: 01.11. 2012 12:23 »
Hi Stu/Goldy, Dont know which one I have Stu, how do you tell the difference?. You've got me there goldy, not sure what you mean, the only bearing in my clutch is made up of all individual rollers, no complete bearing as such! If neccessary I will take pics of the two bits I am refering to to show you.
Regards Huddie

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 01.11. 2012 15:49 »
The standard BSA clutch is the 6 spring whereas the Triumph clutch has 4 springs. if your bearing has rollers not balls it sounds as thou it has already been replaced with a new type. BSA service sheet No 308 shows a section through the clutch.     http://www.britishonly.com/pdf/bsa/sectionB_BSAservicesheetno308.pdf
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 01.11. 2012 20:11 »
Hi Huddie,
Ok so we are talking about the 4 spring clutch
There have been a lot of crap parts being peddled over the years
some clutch bits came from the far East and are not great to say the least  *sad2*
Some of the pattern parts supplied by UK suppliers are not too hot either????

The original shaft adaptors are made of a hardened material and should not wear easily (pattern ones are softer)
The clutch inner drums are something like a mallable casting and so are not as hard so I would suspect wear in this first
You dont state whether its a solid or cush drive type ?
An important check to make is that the inner drum is clamped solidly when the centre nut is tightened
The shaft adaptor outer face should not be proud of the face on the clutch body
This means the nut / washer (thick) should clamp the body against the inner lip where the rollers run
Make sure you have the correct length rollers (0.225in??)

HTH
John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)