Author Topic: Cartridge start  (Read 470 times)

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Cartridge start
« on: 22.10. 2012 05:57 »
Now this is nothing to do with bikes but I thought it may interest those that are interested in all things mechanical.

In the  RGS vs. SR head topic we touched briefly on the cartridge starting system used by Field Marshall tractors.

I had a bit of a search to see what others used this system and there were a few but there is one that I found most interesting. During WW11 Hawker used a engine called a Napier Sabre in their Typhoon and Tempest planes. This engine is most interesting, being a 24 cylinder "H" pattern sleeve valve engine, and it was started with the cartridge system. It had a barrel which contained five cartridges activated from inside the cockpit.

If anyone is interested in this sort of stuff spend some time on the net looking at this engine.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline saltbox Alf

• A's Best Friend
Re: Cartridge start
« Reply #1 on: 22.10. 2012 09:34 »
Yes , I belive a version was called a 'Kauffman Starter' the pilot would use a cartrige gun , similar to a flare gun and fire it in a tube in the cockpit to spin the engine, If I remember rightly Jimmy Stewart used one in the film Flight of the Pheonix.
Nice engine! still prefer a Merlin though!
TTFN
Good Advice
No reactions
I like bike, especially my 61'SR

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 22.10. 2012 14:05 »
Good memory Saltbox, and a good film , interesting engine Brian but with a bad reputation, killed a lot of pilots due to exhaust fumes getting into the cockpit , when sorted bloody powerful ,regards BobH 
Good Advice
No reactions
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Black Flash

• A's Best Friend
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« Reply #3 on: 22.10. 2012 19:35 »
If you do a Youtube search for B52 cartridge start you can find videos of actual USAF alert planes using them. Back in the day it was quite a sight combined with a MITO (minimum interval takeoff). They had 15 minutes to get them all off so they rolled about 15 seconds apart. USAF stopped the MITO due to later studies of turbulence.
Good Advice
No reactions
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #4 on: 22.10. 2012 21:37 »
I've done more reading about them Bob and they seem to have had quite a few "faults", the exhaust fumes being only one. Seizures were common, normal for them to burst into flames on startup, difficult to build plus lots of other things.

I guess there is always a "but" however, and its the power. 3,500 hp ! When you consider a Merlin is about 1500 and even the later Griffon was "only" around 2,000 they were a very powerful engine.

Apparently at the end of their development they upped the boost to 46lb and they got around 5,000hp.
Good Advice
No reactions